AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to get my very first front PJ. It is either gonna be a Sony HS10, or, I am gonna wait for a few months and get an HS20.

The room I will be using it in has pretty good ambient light control. It can be totally dark after sunset, and have no direct light during the day. Using floor to ceiling oriental room dividers, I can make it pretty darn dark during the day as well.

Usage will be for DVD movies, HDTV watching(especially sports), PS2 gameplay, Computer use including games, and occasional SD/EDTV sports viewing.

I will be using an HTPC as my source unit for all but PS2 gaming.

Although I'd like to have a screen size which is 100-120" in diagonal size, the best place for my screen is in a room nook which is only 84" wide. That limits me to a screen which is probably 80" wide at best, and 92" diagonally for a 16:9 image.

Ideally, a pull down screen would work best for me and for the room which is a family playroom. However, I am wondering if the screen would be flat enough and wrinkle free for movie viewing?

If I go with an 80" wide pull down screen, would I pull it all the way down or only to about 45" down for watching HDTV and 16:9 movies? Is it best to have a screen which is exactly the right size for the video aspect ratio you are watching?

Finally, price IS an issue with this purchase.

I found this pull down screen on Ebay, and wonder if it would work well for my situation?
Draper Luma

Thanks for any and all help you can this FP rookie...

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, For some reason, the link doesn't work even though it worked on another forum where I posted my question???

Anyway, the screen is a pull down screen made by Draper called the Luma. It is 60"H x 80"W and has a gain of 1.0, matte white. Total cost to me should be around $170.

Is that a good choice for me considering my situation and price concerns?

Thanks!

·
Registered
776 Posts
At that relatively small size, a matte white screen should be bright enough for those PJs.

However, there are always some problems with pull-down screens having wrinkles, roller lines, etc. For that reason, many opt for the High Power material from Dalite, which renders these anomalies virtually invisible. It also has a lot more gain (about 3x more, on axis) and a much smaller viewing angle than the matte white, which may or may not be a good thing for you.

Another popular Dalite pulldown material for that PJ is the HCMW, or High Contrast Matte White. It also suffers from the wrinkle issue. Do a search on it.

You can get the screens masked to whatever aspect ratio you want. I'd suggest you call one of the AVS guys, Jason Turk or Daniel Hutnicki to discuss your options. I believe they sell the Draper screens as well as Dalite & Stewart, and IME they are very competitive, pricewise. Plus, you help support the forum;)

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
...pull-down screens having wrinkles, roller lines, etc. For that reason, many opt for the High Power material from Dalite, which renders these anomalies virtually invisible.
How much is the pull down screen made from this High Power material from Dalite? What is the model number of this screen? Thanks!

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then again, there is a DaLite pull down screen on Ebay, which apparently I can't also link so you can see? It only costs about $110 delivered and also offers me the 1.0 matte white or 2.5 glass bead finish.

Once again... can I only pull it down part way to watch 16:9 DVDS and HDTV?

How does this FP stuff work?

thanks!

·
Registered
776 Posts
You can pull it part way down, if you have something to attach it to at the bottom. It would have to be fixed so your screen height would be the same everytime you cycled the screen, unless you just happened to hit one of the screen's mechanical stops at just the right height.

The screen you're looking at would be a Model B pulldown, which is really aimed at industrial/educational uses. It's roller is smaller in diameter & can cause more wrinkles than it's big brother, the Model C. We have Model B matte whites at the community college I part-time teach at, and they definitely get some serious lines/waves. Of course, they're probably 10-15 years old, too.

Model C is recommended for HT use, since it's larger size minimizes (but doesn't totally eliminate) wrinkles. It also costs a lot more, of course;) I have a big 10' wide Model C High Power, and it's a lot more substantial than the Model B. My screen has no waves, but I then I don't roll it up & down, either.

You don't want the glass bead material. For $110 (watch the shipping!), if it doesn't work you can dump it & try something else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.