AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm purchasing a BenQ W1070 and this will be my first projector. So I'm a little new to a lot of this and would love some help getting set up. Now that I have my projector picked out I need a screen and ceiling mount for it. Hopefully someone can help me make a good choice on these two items.


First off I'll give you a little information to help determine what I need. I'm looking to go with a 120" 16:9 electric screen. My projector will be ceiling mounted approximately 12' away from the screen and my couch will be another foot or so behind that. This is going in a first floor den that has a decent amount of ambient light. My primary use for this will be watching movies and HDTV as well as a fair amount of gaming.


For the screen I've looked at quite a few options and like what I see from Visual Apex and Elite Screens. The only concern I have with those is that it looks like both only come in a white screen. From what I've read it sounds like I may want to go with a grey screen due to the amount of ambient light in my den. Is this true and should I be only looking at a grey screen for my options?


As for the ceiling mount I need something that is hopefully adjustable. My screen will be mounted on the back side of a airduct and support beam in the middle of the room. So it needs to drop down at least 11" to get past that. This being the case, I need to mount my projector about a foot below the ceiling. Since I might have to play with the drop on my screen and the position of the projector in relation to the ceiling, I'd like to get a mount that is adjustable. I've seen a bunch of adjustable ceiling mounts on Amazon that claim to be universal, but I can't seem to find out if they'll fit the W1070.


Any suggestions on either the screen or ceiling mount would be very helpful.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
I have the Peerless PRGUNV gear mount from Amazon. It has gear knobs to adjust height and tilt.

Side to side is by the mounting slots in the base.

Without an extension my lens is 6" from the ceiling and the top of my screen is 15" from the ceiling.

At the size I am projecting my offset is about 9" above the screen. My PJ does not have an adjustable offset.


td
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave  /t/1472200/screen-and-ceiling-mount-for-benq-w1070#post_23303471


I have the Peerless PRGUNV gear mount from Amazon. It has gear knobs to adjust height and tilt.

Side to side is by the mounting slots in the base.

Without an extension my lens is 6" from the ceiling and the top of my screen is 15" from the ceiling.

At the size I am projecting my offset is about 9" above the screen. My PJ does not have an adjustable offset.


td

How much height adjustment do you get with this mount? How large is the screen you're projecting onto?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakob_s  /t/1472200/screen-and-ceiling-mount-for-benq-w1070#post_23303588


How much height adjustment do you get with this mount? How large is the screen you're projecting onto?

There is no height adjustment but the ceiling part is threaded on top so you can use an adjustable extension, a fixed 6" extension, or get a piece of pipe

cut to length and threaded and use a ceiling mounting plate. But since the 1070 has an adjustable lens offset you might not need an extension.

My screen is fixed DIY about 121" diagonal. About 59" high. This puts the bottom of the screen about 19" above the floor. Throw is about 13 feet.

The screen height was set so I did not have to use keystone adjustment on the projector (Optoma HD33).


td
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave  /t/1472200/screen-and-ceiling-mount-for-benq-w1070#post_23304032


There is no height adjustment but the ceiling part is threaded on top so you can use an adjustable extension, a fixed 6" extension, or get a piece of pipe

cut to length and threaded and use a ceiling mounting plate. But since the 1070 has an adjustable lens offset you might not need an extension.

My screen is fixed DIY about 121" diagonal. About 59" high. This puts the bottom of the screen about 19" above the floor. Throw is about 13 feet.

The screen height was set so I did not have to use keystone adjustment on the projector (Optoma HD33).


td

Oh OK I get what you're saying now. So it sounds like I'll probably use this mount or one similar that accepts an extension in case I need it. But with the adjustable lens offset on the w1070 I may not need any extension which would be nice. So do you recommend the mount that you are using? Is it easy to use and is it a solid construction?


So now that I have a good idea on the mount, does anyone have any suggestions for a screen? Is a grey screen going to make enough of a difference and if so are there any electric grey screens under $500?


I'm getting my PJ tomorrow so I'm hoping to get this figured out soon. So any suggestions would be very helpful right now. Thanks! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakob_s  /t/1472200/screen-and-ceiling-mount-for-benq-w1070#post_23307014


Oh OK I get what you're saying now. So it sounds like I'll probably use this mount or one similar that accepts an extension in case I need it. But with the adjustable lens offset on the w1070 I may not need any extension which would be nice. So do you recommend the mount that you are using? Is it easy to use and is it a solid construction?


So now that I have a good idea on the mount, does anyone have any suggestions for a screen? Is a grey screen going to make enough of a difference and if so are there any electric grey screens under $500?


I'm getting my PJ tomorrow so I'm hoping to get this figured out soon. So any suggestions would be very helpful right now. Thanks! :)

The mount IMNSHO is really solid. The adjustments are easy to make and they have never slipped. When you make a focus or zoom change the image will have to be repositioned maybe 1/2 inch and this mount makes it easy.

There are plenty of options for attaching it to the projector and getting it at a balancing point.


For the screen, my first one was a piece of blackout cloth from a fabric store. At 60" wide I had a 100" 16x9 screen for under $20. (no frame) It was great for experimenting plus when I eventually got some "real" screen material I used it over a window to darken the room.

I also used it while I was getting screen material samples from various manufacturers to test.


td
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave  /t/1472200/screen-and-ceiling-mount-for-benq-w1070#post_23307378


The mount IMNSHO is really solid. The adjustments are easy to make and they have never slipped. When you make a focus or zoom change the image will have to be repositioned maybe 1/2 inch and this mount makes it easy.

There are plenty of options for attaching it to the projector and getting it at a balancing point.


For the screen, my first one was a piece of blackout cloth from a fabric store. At 60" wide I had a 100" 16x9 screen for under $20. (no frame) It was great for experimenting plus when I eventually got some "real" screen material I used it over a window to darken the room.

I also used it while I was getting screen material samples from various manufacturers to test.


td

Great! This mount sounds like what I'm looking for. Easy adjustments and solid build quality are just what I want. Thanks for this suggestion.


Unfortunately I won't be able to have a fixed screen since I need my screen to drop down in the middle of my room. So a piece of blackout cloth or a DIY screen won't work for me. I have to go with an electric drop down screen. My biggest curiosity is if grey versus white is going to make a huge difference in my room due to the ambient light that I have down there. If not then I have a couple screens that look like they will suit my needs.


Does anyone have any experience with grey versus white screens in a room with moderate ambient light?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave  /t/1472200/screen-and-ceiling-mount-for-benq-w1070#post_23304032


There is no height adjustment but the ceiling part is threaded on top so you can use an adjustable extension, a fixed 6" extension, or get a piece of pipe

cut to length and threaded and use a ceiling mounting plate. But since the 1070 has an adjustable lens offset you might not need an extension.

My screen is fixed DIY about 121" diagonal. About 59" high. This puts the bottom of the screen about 19" above the floor. Throw is about 13 feet.

The screen height was set so I did not have to use keystone adjustment on the projector (Optoma HD33).


td

Do you know of any adjustable extensions that would fit this mount? I'm having a hard time finding one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakob_s  /t/1472200/screen-and-ceiling-mount-for-benq-w1070#post_23309866


My biggest curiosity is if grey versus white is going to make a huge difference in my room due to the ambient light that I have down there. If not then I have a couple screens that look like they will suit my needs.


Does anyone have any experience with grey versus white screens in a room with moderate ambient light?

You may want to read through this short article on white versus gray on the Projector Central's website.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/white_gray_projection_screens.htm


Personally I have never cared for gray screens because white is not white when projected, how could it be? True there is an increase in contrast but the trade-off in color fidelity at least for me was not worth it. Will you really be watching your setup a lot during the day with ambient light coming in from all angles? Or mainly at night for movies and maybe HDTV. Everyone has different needs, wants and preferences so the final choice is up to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G  /t/1472200/screen-and-ceiling-mount-for-benq-w1070#post_23318329


You may want to read through this short article on white versus gray on the Projector Central's website.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/white_gray_projection_screens.htm


Personally I have never cared for gray screens because white is not white when projected, how could it be? True there is an increase in contrast but the trade-off in color fidelity at least for me was not worth it. Will you really be watching your setup a lot during the day with ambient light coming in from all angles? Or mainly at night for movies and maybe HDTV. Everyone has different needs, wants and preferences so the final choice is up to you.

I was just reading this article a couple days ago. The more I'm reading about the difference between gray and white screens the more I'm leaning on going with a white screen. There are a few factors in that decision, but the biggest one is that there is a limited selection of gray screens for less than $1000 and considering I'm looking for something under $500, that really limits me. I have temporarily set up my PJ on an end table and have it projected on a light gray wall. I'm sure that this isn't the same as a gray screen, but it at least gives me an idea and I'm not seeing any huge benefit to it being on that wall.


I'm about 95% decided that I'll be going with an Elite VMAX2 with the extra 24" drop. The nice thing about this screen is that it comes in a white housing and the large drop gives me the distance needed to get past the beam/duct I'll be mounting it behind. Plus the price on this screen is very reasonable through provantage.com. I also did some more precise measuring and calculations and I've changed my decision on screen size from 120" to 106".


If anyone has anymore suggestions on an electric drop down white 16:9 106" screen with a drop of at least 16" let me know.


Thanks everyone for your input so far. :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: sth1080

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakob_s  /t/1472200/screen-and-ceiling-mount-for-benq-w1070#post_23318447


I was just reading this article a couple days ago. The more I'm reading about the difference between gray and white screens the more I'm leaning on going with a white screen. There are a few factors in that decision, but the biggest one is that there is a limited selection of gray screens for less than $1000 and considering I'm looking for something under $500, that really limits me. I have temporarily set up my PJ on an end table and have it projected on a light gray wall. I'm sure that this isn't the same as a gray screen, but it at least gives me an idea and I'm not seeing any huge benefit to it being on that wall.


I'm about 95% decided that I'll be going with an Elite VMAX2 with the extra 24" drop. The nice thing about this screen is that it comes in a white housing and the large drop gives me the distance needed to get past the beam/duct I'll be mounting it behind. Plus the price on this screen is very reasonable through provantage.com. I also did some more precise measuring and calculations and I've changed my decision on screen size from 120" to 106".


If anyone has anymore suggestions on an electric drop down white 16:9 106" screen with a drop of at least 16" let me know.


Thanks everyone for your input so far. :)

With a $500 budget for an electric screen you are indeed limited. Tab tensioned screens are the way to go if you absolutely need a drop down screen but it is beyond your current budget. A fixed frame of course is the best solution for under $500.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1311921/first-screen-purchase-advice-tab-tension-benefits
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G  /t/1472200/screen-and-ceiling-mount-for-benq-w1070#post_23322318


With a $500 budget for an electric screen you are indeed limited. Tab tensioned screens are the way to go if you absolutely need a drop down screen but it is beyond your current budget. A fixed frame of course is the best solution for under $500.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1311921/first-screen-purchase-advice-tab-tension-benefits

Yeah my budget definitely made the screen purchase tough. I went ahead and ordered an Elite VMAX2 106" with the extra 24" drop and a white casing yesterday. I got it for $325 from provantage.com. Thanks for the recommendations and I really did want to go with a tab tension screen, but just couldn't afford it. I'm betting that I'll upgrade my screen in a year or two and go with a tab tension screen at that point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave  /t/1472200/screen-and-ceiling-mount-for-benq-w1070#post_23322748


Amazon or Adorama.
http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?No=60&searchinfo=projector+mount+extension&category=0


td

Thanks I did find these on Adorama yesterday, but they're pretty pricey for just an extension. I ended up going with the PRG-EXA-W from B&H for $102. This gives me the PRG ceiling mount with an adjustable 8"-12" extension included. A lot cheaper than buying them separate. Thanks for the link.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
hello,


just bought BenQ w1070 and till now i dont know which screen i have to go with from elite screens


my room is dark and there is no light in it


using it for watching tv, sports, movies and gaming looking for 100' or 106'


so what is the best choice ? my budget is 400$. and it will be great if the screen available on amazon because am not from US so i have to ship it to my country
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
611 Posts
I've been waffling on whether I should get a projector or not and what model for some time now. My latest interest is the Benq W1070. I have a couple of questions and would appreciate any help...


1: Is there a recommended wall mount for this projector? I would like to find something that is flexible so that I can adjust it in order to help with lining the projector up with the screen. Something I can move in all directions.


2: When looking at throw distance calculators, what do the colors on the sliders mean? I was at first thinking of table mounting this projector, which would be approximately 8.5' away from the screen, but the slider is red at this distance. I'd like to mount a 110" screen, but it looks like at this distance I'd be limited to 90" if I remember correctly.


I am brand new to the projector world and this unit sounds like a lot of bang for the buck and the perfect price point to allow me to jump in and test the waters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Here's some helpful info for you:

Keep this in mind...Benq W1070 - DLP - Image size 96" to 126" diagonal. BUT lens shift is very limited. Image can only be shifted 10% of the image height. For example, with a 110" diagonal screen, image can only be shifted 5.2". If using a shelf, height must be very accurate.

One mount to consider with easy installation is the Chief RPMA245 RPA Elite Custom Projector Mount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I am running a W1070 in a walkout basement, which has 2 large windows and a sliding glass door. I hung room darkening curtains over both of these to help control the ambient light, but I still decided to go with a gray material for my DIY 112" screen. As I was running the projector on a white wall prior to completing my HT build, I will say the gray helped with the black levels but I would recommend finding a screen with a gain greater than 1, as you will loose some of the power of the PJ with gray.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top