AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to ask this in another thread, but it got lost among other posts.

I need to purchase a pull-down screen to match up with an LT150. I'm either going to go with a Dalite Electric or manual pull-down. So my first question is: what screen gain do I choose for this?

I'd really like the electic screen, especially to use with my Pronto. However, there is about a $600 difference between the electric and manual. Either way the screen will not be tensioned, as those are just too expensive. So which do I go with, the electric or manual? From what I've heard, the electric will of course suffer less stress from going up and down, and I guess this should help with wrinkles and whatnot.

Finally, I need to ceiling mount the LT150... how have people here done that? Is there a certain mount I can buy?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey James:

I just ordered the 150 too. With my previous projector, a Sony 400Q, I had a Da-Lite Hi-power (and I sold it with the Sony, dang it!), which Grant Smyth and others on this forum recommend for the LT 150. But that screen is designed for table-mounted projectors, so you may need to consider something else. I spoke yesterday to Medical Video (actually a big HT dealer who sells all kinds of digital projectors) about appropriate screens for an 800-lumen DLP. Kyle's recommendation was the basic Da-Mat material. We discussed the pro's and con's of Hi-power, Cinemavision, etc., and he seemed to know his stuff. (MV also has the best screen prices I have found so far.) By the way, REALLY basic, non-motorized pull-down screens in Da-Mat are apparently an in-stock item for many business projection dealers. I have found them here in Memphis in 80x60 and 72x96. And they only cost a couple of hundred bucks. You might call around your town.

As far as a ceiling mount goes, you CAN buy one. If you search CNet or Bizrate for "LT 150," all the accessories will also come up. But I was reading about a cool one on this forum just yesterday, home-made and clever. I can't remember the thread, but if you search under "LT 150 ceiling mount" I'll bet it won't take long for you to find it. The nice thing about the LT 150 is that it is so light, you could almost hang it with sewing thread. You might want to draw up a design of your own. I believe the one I was reading about had a nifty sliding "zoom" gizmo.

Good luck. I'm off to build a screen! Yippee!

Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
catullus:

So which screen gain would the "basic Da-Mat material" be? 1.0? I have heard good things about the Hi-power but as you mentioned it is designed for a table-top mounted projector, which isn't possible for me. Also I've heard that such a high gain tends to aggravate the rainbow effect, which I'm hoping to reduce as much as I can. I'll look into that DIY ceiling mount for the projector.

·
Registered
197 Posts
James,

First, it depends on whether you will have any ambient light. If you don't and will have a dark room, I think a screen with the gain of 1.0-1.5 would be fine. Otherwise, get a 1.5 gain or higher. I have a Dalite Spectra Video 1.5g and I think I may upgrade to a higher power.

BTW, www.cousinsvideo.com has the best prices on screens that I've seen.

As for ceiling mount, I simply got some electrical conduit fixtures, a 6" piece of plastic threaded conduit, and some drywall fixtures. About $15 at Home Depot. I mounted the LT150 to a base using camera straps, mounted a fixture on the ceiling and one on the board, screwed it in and its done. The cool thing is that I got a bunch of different height conduit pipes so I can play with different screen positions. I painted it white, and I'm satisfied.

-Dave

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave E:

I can filter out all ambient light if I want to. As for cousinsvideo, I have several price quotes from them and will be purchasing my screen from them (just not sure which one yet). What do you think of the picture quality itself with the LT150 and Dalite 1.5 gain screen?

·
Registered
197 Posts
James,

I think the Spectra video 1.5 material is a good choice for a completely dark room. I would recommend it.

However, since I watch some football and other sports during the day, I feel a higher gain screen might help me.

-Dave

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Any thoughts on using the Dalite Wide Power (45 degree viewing angle, 2.2 gain) material with the LT150?

I think I would like to go with the Dalite Deluxe 100" (Diag.) Insta-Theater and it is only available with Wide Power I think.

I would like to also use the Panamorph with this projector.

·
Registered
9 Posts
James_T:

What apect ratio have you chosen for your HT? 4:3, 16:9 or custom? If you have made a decision, what did you base it on? Sorry I don't have any answers for you but I'm a newbie and just jumped in. My room will support an 60x80 or 54x92. Since I'll be exclusivly watching DVDs, I can't see much point in 60x80. Any thoughts? Anhbody?

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sudsurfer:

For my room, the only constraint on a screen is its width, because the ceiling of the room is oddly shaped (it is flat for 58" across in the middle, and then the ceiling slopes downward. And since I need to wall-mount the screen, and still do so over a window, I can only accomodate a screen that is 50" wide either way. So it just makes more sense to go with the 4:3, especially given that I'll probably watch a bit of cable TV and maybe even play some video games on it.

After giving it some thought I'm thinking I'll go with a manual pull-down screen. Given that I'll likely be moving in a year, there's a good chance I'll be able to accomodate a larger screen, so I'll wait until then to go the expensive screen route.

So any thoughts on the Dalite Model B with 1.5 gain? Am I going to have any problems with it given that it is not tensioned?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.