AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out the best approach to upgrading my home theater set up. Currently I have 55” Hitachi Plasma mounted over the fireplace. I want to install a ceiling mounted electric screen in front of it. I am from the DYI school of thought. My last screen was fixed so I was able to play with a few options i.e painted wall then eventually going with a Parkland Plastics Poly-Wall. Going with this type of screen limits my flexibility in my opinion, but it is what it is. I am concerned with trying to match a reasonably priced screen $300-400, 100-110” if possible with either the Viewsonic 8100 or Panasonic AE4000 from mounted approximately 13’ from screen.

If I am limited to the quality of screens then I will be happy to narrow that down make a selection and then search for a suitable projector

Any input would greatly be appreciated

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I'm not totally clear...why aren't you buying the projector first? You can set it up and play with the image size to find out what works best for you. Then you can order a screen once you have the proper size as well as one that best compliments your projector.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue /forum/post/18144054

I'm not totally clear...why aren't you buying the projector first? You can set it up and play with the image size to find out what works best for you. Then you can order a screen once you have the proper size as well as one that best compliments your projector.

Yeah your right I was chasing my tail trying to figure out what I should do first. I plan on getting the projector first. It makes the most sense.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/18144949

Cheap electric screens are available. One source is HTdepot.com, there are reviews of their products over on the screen forum.

I am there doing some research now. I am always open for suggestions

Thanks

·
Registered
959 Posts
Well, some or maybe many people might agree with the idea that putting the screen first is not such a bad thing. Especially if you are going with a specific type of screen for your situation, the differences between screens are probably bigger than the differences in projectors. The analogy to me is speakers vs amps and source components, though there's a bit more difference than that. But the screen or speaker is what produces what you perceive. A speaker is also a transducer (converts electrical energy to mechanical) so it's a bigger element in that analogy, but the screen is still a primary component of the system. A good screen is something that you might keep longer than the projector. In my case, I invested in a manual pull-down Stewart Firehawk G3, and haven't regretted it. It's already on its 2nd projector.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
looking at a blank screen is so cool ... :) as some posters stated, settle on a projector, get it and play with it... heck watch it in some form. When and if you are settled, get your screen and complete the journey.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I bought a Elite Screen electric screen from htdepot and I'm very happy. And in some situations it may make sense to get the screen first. Since you have a TV on your screen wall you won't just be able to shoot up there to get a feel for it. You really do need something to shoot on to get it figured out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
doomi,

That was my initial sentiment on going with the screen first. I was also taking in to consideration on the affect of the offset once the projector is mounted in relation on to how the screen hangs once it lowered. I have narrowed my choices to the viewsonic pro8100 and panny ae4000, but my wife doesn’t like the idea of something the size an audio receiver hanging over her head. Which now throws the optoma hd20 in to the mix for me

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aducrejr /forum/post/18146465

doomi,

That was my initial sentiment on going with the screen first. I was also taking in to consideration on the affect of the offset once the projector is mounted in relation on to how the screen hangs once it lowered. I have narrowed my choices to the viewsonic pro8100 and panny ae4000, but my wife doesn't like the idea of something the size an audio receiver hanging over her head. Which now throws the optoma hd20 in to the mix for me

Stylish hard-hats are pretty inexpensive these days. I'm sure you could find a color that brings out the color in your wife's eyes

Btw, $20-30 of BOC cloth pinned to the wall works fine to evaluate a final screen choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.