AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reviewing past threads on Screen Borders.

Options are:

*Velvet Fabric (Sy) stapled.

*Adhesive backed Velvet Fabric (McMaster Car).

*Adhesive Backed Velvet Tape (ProScreens).

*Screen Goo Ultra Black high carbon non reflective paint.

After reading the tutorial on stapling fabric by MississippiMan, it looks like he had ripples in his results......eye tricks? The photo showing the completed two mitered corners looks like the right side piece has ripples.

Goo Ultra Black.........Nothing about this found through search....anybody with results?

I want a light absorbing border with NO ripples or waves!

I'm leaning towards stapled velvet but am concerned about ripples.

Please share your results to help me make a decision.

Thanks,

dlipter

P.S. I'm thinking instead of using staples to mill two channels along the back length of the screen boarder trim, and use rubber spline material (used for mounting screen material to window frames) to wedge the velvet into the channels. Advantage.....continuous even tension.....have to try to see.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
I followed MM's method, as 1st timer for doing it mine came out fine.

Details here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15254612

Border wrap, and underside, not as pretty as MM's but it works for me.

Zero wrinkles on frontside, you gain skill as you do it.

Good luck.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipter /forum/post/16975098

After reading the tutorial on stapling fabric by MississippiMan, it looks like he had ripples in his results......eye tricks? The photo showing the completed two mitered corners looks like the right side piece has ripples.

Eye tricks fur shur.

I'd never let that happen....certainly not on a project for Peer review !

Simply pulling the velvet taunt takes care of potential wrinkles. A good method...staple one end/one side. Go to the opposite end...tug firmly....staple.

Go down along that stapled edge and completely staple the rest of the edge, 1' in from the inside edge of the Velvet. Now staple one remaining loose end...go to the other end and tug again then staple. As you move down the edge and staple, this time give a slight tug inward on the remaining loose edge and staple....repeat until finished.

The only way you'd have a wrinkle is if you failed to draw the material tight before stapling down the length of the remaining velvet edge as you go. But we both know your better than that.....right?

Flip the trim over and inspect. It should be smooth and wrinkle free. Now focus on folding your corners. Follow the Trim tutorial. Remember, nothing is forever if you staple. Just do it right on one corner and the rest becomes a lot easier.

Stapling is the easiest of 'em all...and re-doable if you do fudge it up. Adhesive backed or spray coated applications are primarily a "one shot and don't miss" proposition. The Triple Black Velvet from syfabrics fits everyone of your criteria to a "T" if you use even a bit of care and effort..

Quote:
P.S. I'm thinking instead of using staples to mill two channels along the back length of the screen boarder trim, and use rubber spline material (used for mounting screen material to window frames) to wedge the velvet into the channels. Advantage.....continuous even tension.....have to try to see.

That's a lot of extra work to accomplish what you want...and if you can tension the material even enough to effect that application, it's assured you can do so as you staple just as...if nor even easier. Scratch that.....it will be a LOT easier.

Velvet is NOT Vinyl Window Screen material. You'd need a hefty sized channel and fairly thick rubber string. I'd ditch that proposal...but that's me and wadda I no frum nuthin'?

*Subjective commentary only please.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going the stapled velvet fabric route from Sy.

I'll be covering some 3.25" mdf baseboard trim that is primed white with velvet.

Is it necessary to paint the trim black before applying the velvet?

Thanks.

dlipter

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipter /forum/post/17020134

I'm going the stapled velvet fabric route from Sy.

I'll be covering some 3.25" mdf baseboard trim that is primed white with velvet.

Is it necessary to paint the trim black before applying the velvet?

Thanks.

dlipter

No.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.