AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apex DVD player (dunno the number off the top of my head - picked it up on day after thanksgiving last year) into a Denon 1803 via the video cable (not the S-video) into my TV (Sharp? - don't remember at the moment, and am planning on replacement with a bigger one in January anyway...).

Anywho, the picture seems to get a little brighter sometimes, then a little darker sometimes - more like flipping a switch than a gradual change. Seems to be at the same spots on the disks, but haven't done a thorough study. It's most noticeable with letterboxed stuff (doh!). Doesn't look the the copy protection stuff that I got if I tried to run the DVD through the VHS to dupe a movie.

Could this be an artifact of the macrovision stuff getting set off by something in the Denon? Don't recall noticing it on a direct connect. TV doesn't have an S-video connect, or I'd be using that.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I've noticed this one a few disc's myself. I never really bothered to ask about it on the forum. I have a RPTV with a RP-82 connected through component cables. It doesn't happen for every disc but i do notice it. I'm wondering if it's just the way the disc's are authored.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I spot one doing it tonight, I'll try disconnecting from the AVR and running directly to the TV and see what it does...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay - played with "From Hell" a little last night. It is definitely either on the disk, in the player, or in the TV - did a direct connect, still had problems. Actually leaning away from "on the disk" for the weirdness, since the brightness changes seem to show up at different points. My TV is set on "manual" picture control, by the way...

Methinx it's time for a new DVD player...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If it is Macrovision (and I haven't heard of others having problems if the DVD output doesn't go through a VCR of some switching device), you can find out how to get around this problem at

www.nerd-out.com

Find out your Apex model number and go to that forum. Many Apex players have a firmware fix for this kind of problem.

SMK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.