AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the purchase of a Sony VW10HT which I can get at a really good price. My theater has complete light control and two rows of seating (14' and 19'). The screen will be a Stewart microperf. I am aware of the potential moire effect, however, if this is a problem I will minimize it with the use of slight defocussing or a Cygnus imaging lens. Assuming proper calibration of the 10HT including the use of a CC filter as described by Steve Smallcombe what would be a good choice of screen size, aspect ratio, and material?

I am trying to decide between a 1.78:1 and a 1.85:1 aspect ratio screen. The 1.85:1 screen may make sense since this would allow me to display a 1.85:1 DVD with no black bars. When displaying 16:9 or 4:3 material, however, there will be a slight loss of the image at the top and the bottom of the screen. If I use a 1.78:1 screen, can I blow up the image so that there are no black bars (this will result in a slight loss of the image at the sides of the screen)? Does the Sony VW10HT have the ability to memorize zoom settings for different aspect ratio material?

The screen sizes I am considering are 48"x89" (1.85:1 screen), 54"x100" (1.85:1 screen), 49"x87" (1.78:1 screen), or 54"x96" (1.78:1 screen). Given the distance of the seating to the screen my tendency would be to go with the larger screen sizes, however, I am concerned that the picture may be too dim or not sharp enough.

The screen material I am considering is Grayhawk or Studiotek 130. My understanding of the Grayhawk is that it will improve the black levels and contrast at the expense of brightness. Given that the room has complete light control perhaps the benefits of the Grayhawk are greatly reduced.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim, I have thought more about the appropriate aspect ratio of the screen and agree with you. Now I just need to decide on a screen size and material. I actually spoke with a representative from Stewart Filmscreens and they recommended a screen width of about 100" for a 14' seating distance. I would probably make it a 54"x96" screen since this is a standard screen size. I would like to go with a Grayhawk, however, I am concerned that a Sony VW10HT running in Cinema Black mode may appear too dim. Although the footlamberts calculation suggests that I should be fine (700 lumens / 36 square feet x 0.95 = 18.5), the lumens output may drop somewhat after calibration. Any opinions?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've spent a lot of time watching the 10HT. Some of that has been with the Greyhawk. Like just about every PJ I've ever measured, the Sony puts out less than its rating. In my opinion, you shouldn't even think about running cinema black mode with ther Greyhawk. It's marginal even at full power. For decent blacks with the 10HT, I'd choose the Greyhawk. Although I haven't seen it, the 11HT may be a better choice and may work with the 130.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 96" GreyHawk matched up with a Sony 10HT. I am running the Cinema black mode with great success. I am seated 14 feet from the screen in a dedicated HT room. I went from the High Power material to the GreyHawk. It is far from dim looking. I have had this combination since the GreyHawk became available.

I seem to remember Stewart Screens had a 10HT in use while designing the GreyHawk and used the Sony for demo purposes.

I also believe Don Stewart said that according to their tests the Sony was one of the few projectors that actually met its stated ratings.

I suggest you give Don Stewart at Stewart Screens a call or e-mail with your throw distance, room dimensions, what type of light control, how your projector will be mounted and etc. He will be glad to work with you to determine what type of screen would be best for you.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roni44, I am able to get a 10HT demo with a new bulb for $5000 Cdn (approx. $3200 US) through a long-time aquaintance who happens to be the store manager at a high-end audio-video store.

Ron H, your set-up sounds very similar to what I had in mind. If I go with the 10HT, I have decided on a 1.78:1 screen 54"x96". The first and primary row of seating will be about 14' from the screen if I get a microperf or 15' from the screen if I go with a standard screen. I have heard from a rStewart epresentative who suggested a Studiotek130 if I would like a microperf and a Grayhawk if I would like a standard screen. The home theater will have complete light control.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Scott,

I too am running a Grayhawk with my 10HT. I am also back about 14' but my screen size is 110" (54x96). I have total light control and run in Cinema Black mode about 98% of the time. I have only noticed a couple of DVD's where I felt it was an improvement to turn off the Cinema Black. I am extremely happy with my combination. Blacks are black, colors are vivid, and brights look as they should.

About the only thing I would caution you on is the Microperf. I think there is a problem with LCD's and a microperf screen causing a more (rainbow) effect. I would suggest talking to Stewart about this.

Bob

·
Registered
113 Posts
Scott,

I agree that Studiotek130 would be a great choice if you are planning to use a microperf screen. You could use the additional brightness it would provide.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I buy the Sony 10HT it looks like I will be getting a 54"x 96" (110" diagonal) Grayhawk non-microperf. I will place the center channel speaker immediately below the screen. The left and right speakers will be positioned slightly higher (i.e., a few inches) and just to the sides of the screen. Hopefully, this setup will not prove distracting. I would imagine that the sound and image will blend nicely from a seating distance of at least 14'. Last chance to convince me that I am making a poor decision.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott B
I am trying to decide between a 1.78:1 and a 1.85:1 aspect ratio screen. The 1.85:1 screen may make sense since this would allow me to display a 1.85:1 DVD with no black bars. When displaying 16:9 or 4:3 material, however, there will be a slight loss of the image at the top and the bottom of the screen. If I use a 1.78:1 screen, can I blow up the image so that there are no black bars (this will result in a slight loss of the image at the sides of the screen)? Does the Sony VW10HT have the ability to memorize zoom settings for different aspect ratio material?
I don't think anybody answered Scott's original question. Scott, I have a 10HT and it will *not* do what you want to do with the 1.85 screen, at least not automatically and not gracefully. In order to "display a 1.85:1 DVD with no black bars", you will need to zoom in the projector to fill the 1.85 screen. But when you play a 16x9 movie, it will overflow the top and bottom of your screen. There is no way electronically for the projector to scale it for a 1.85 screen, unless you zoom the picture optically. 10HT has a manual zoom, which means that you'll need to stand up and adjust it by-hand. There is a memory for just about everything on the 10HT, but not for zoom, of course (because it's manual).

BTW, IMO $3200 is a good price for your 10HT. I paid $4200 after rebate for a new unit 3 months ago from B&H.

Beeeil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.