AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it never end? I surfed through Amazon intending to make a couple clicks and buy some screen cleaning fluid for plasma display. I made the mistake of reading some reviews, which plunged me into a passionate debate among supporters and detractors of several brands: Bryson, Rocketfish, Monster Alcohol-Free, and Belkin.

I ordered the Bryson just to experiment with a lower cost commercial formula, but I pledged to use a distilled water-alchohol mix in the future. (It's recommended on some techy sites.) If there is anyone here who objects to the homemade approach, speak now or forever hold your peace.

And then there is the issue of microfiber cleaning cloths. The "Cables Unlimited" brand is highly praised, but that may be because of its techy name. I went with Shaxon because it is well reviewed and slightly cheaper. I shunned the ubiqutous Zwipes Cleaning Cloths because they are suspiciously cheap and lack street cred.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Am... am I doing it wrong? I used a bottle of screen cleaner from the 99p discount store and it works absolutely perfectly. Came with the bottle, cloth, and a brush. Keep the cloth, throw away the brush (no idea what that's for.) Worked on my plasma and LCD screens and they look very nice even in bright light.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I use the Monster cleaner because I got it free and it works good on my plasma, no problems at all.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
There is no need to use anything other than simple distilled water on these expensive delicate screens - it's safe for the AR Coating which is sometimes damaged by aftermarket cleaning solutions that claim to be safe. I can't imagine someone's screen getting dirty enough to require anything stronger than water and liquid soap. There have been many reports here from people who have used aftermarket cleaning solutions that attacked the coating and ruined the TV. It's just not worth the risk, and the factory method is cheap and easy and effective.

The worst thing i ever had to clean from my screen was bird poop from my Blue Jay buddy that comes into my man room to find peanuts i've hidden around the room. She did a fly-by and bombed my G10 so per the manual i added a few drops of liquid soap to the distilled water to make sure i cleaned it all off.

BirdBrain on Stereo Rack.jpg 310k .jpg file

Attachments

·
Registered
18,928 Posts
Randy is correct. The safest way to clean any screen is warm distilled water and a clean microfiber cloth. Period. If you've got a stubborn stain or smudge a little eye glass cleaner from your optometrist will work for small areas.

Nice pic btw. Looks like your birdy friend is challenging you

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1468426/screen-cleaning#post_23235674

There is no need to use anything other than simple distilled water on these expensive delicate screens - it's safe for the AR Coating which is sometimes damaged by aftermarket cleaning solutions that claim to be safe. I can't imagine someone's screen getting dirty enough to require anything stronger than water and liquid soap. There have been many reports here from people who have used aftermarket cleaning solutions that attacked the coating and ruined the TV. It's just not worth the risk, and the factory method is cheap and easy and effective.

The worst thing i ever had to clean from my screen was bird poop from my Blue Jay buddy that comes into my man room to find peanuts i've hidden around the room. She did a fly-by and bombed my G10 so per the manual i added a few drops of liquid soap to the distilled water to make sure i cleaned it all off.

BirdBrain on Stereo Rack.jpg 310k .jpg file

Still rocking the VCR I see.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1468426/screen-cleaning#post_23235674

There is no need to use anything other than simple distilled water on these expensive delicate screens - it's safe for the AR Coating which is sometimes damaged by aftermarket cleaning solutions that claim to be safe.
OK. But maybe I'll mix some alcohol in too just for the thrill, say a 5:1 solution instead of the 1:1 mixture I see widely recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters 

The worst thing i ever had to clean from my screen was bird poop from my Blue Jay buddy that comes into my man room to find peanuts i've hidden around the room.
Peanuts hidden around the room? Were you trying to attract elephants?

·
Registered
18,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Burger  /t/1468426/screen-cleaning/0_20#post_23241313

OK. But maybe I'll mix some alcohol in too just for the thrill, say a 5:1 solution instead of the 1:1 mixture I see widely recommended.

Just keep in mind that even a small amount of alcohol may react, overtime, with the anti-reflective coating (if it has one) and you may eventually see streaking depending on how often you clean your panel. For weekly dusting I just use an un-scented Swifter Sweeper refill and lightly dry dust the panel. Unless you're in a smoky environment or have "peanut butter fingerprints" on your panel, dry dusting should be all you need with only an occasional "wet" cleaning. However, it's your panel so do what you feel most comfortable with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts