AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the HC3800 about a week ago, and I'm wondering if I should use my current screen color or paint it. My screen is MDF painted with a light gray(Winter Mist). I think it's a 8.5 rating. It was suggested here for my Mits.HD1000 to improve the blacks. With the HC3800's better blacks, would I be better off just using a bright white screen paint, like Behr UPW? My room is totally dark with a black ceiling, black screen wall, and other 3 walls are dark gray. Thanks.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,911 Posts
no.

Stick with what you've got but calibrate that new PJ to that shade using Low lamp and the least PJ-oriented contrast boosting effect.

I'm sure you'll be happy enough...until you decide you want something better that goes beyond such a simple solution.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MMan. What do you mean by "the least PJ-oriented contrast boosting effect"? That brings up another problem I've been trying to get answered in another section. I can't find ANY contrast test pattern that will work with the HC3800 hooked up to my Pan. BD60 player. The contrast on the projector maxes out and the test won't work. Any suggestions anyone? I've tried the AVS709 test pattern, THX Optimizer and the Sound & Vision disc. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18261972

I got the HC3800 about a week ago, and I'm wondering if I should use my current screen color or paint it. My screen is MDF painted with a light gray(Winter Mist). I think it's a 8.5 rating. It was suggested here for my Mits.HD1000 to improve the blacks. With the HC3800's better blacks, would I be better off just using a bright white screen paint, like Behr UPW? My room is totally dark with a black ceiling, black screen wall, and other 3 walls are dark gray. Thanks.

I have an HC3800 set with a 145" screen on low lamp with an offwhite screen (RS-MaxxMudd-LM). It has silver in it. That said, my blacks could be blacker, but I'm fine with it because of the nice brightness for this size of screen. What you want also depends on the screen size I think. If you has 120" or smaller, then I would stick to light gray vs. going white as MM says. If bigger, you might need something that has at least a 1.0 gain (I'm guessing your screen is about .8 or .9?)

EDIT: I meant I have RS-MaxxMudd-LL for Low Lumen higher gain--slightly offwhite gray--not RS-MaxxMudd-LM (??)

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks threed123. I don't know the gain. It's 106" diagonal. What is your contrast set at? How did you derive at that setting?

·
Banned
2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18267784

Thanks threed123. I don't know the gain. It's 106" diagonal. What is your contrast set at? How did you derive at that setting?

In low lamp mode, I changed the color temp. to user1 and inside there, I left the reference to medium and changed R= -11, G= - 5, and B= -4 . Using calibration, I should have adjusted R down to -22 or something like that. That made gray look perfect, but the reds lost their pop, so I adjusted up a bit. My contrast is at 4 and brightness at 6 based on the Spears and Munsil DVD recommendation.

It has a screen that shows the contrast for the R, G, B. It showed with out-of-box setting that the R and B were clipping so I backe those off and the whole image is a lot better now. If I'm playing a really dark movie, I will bump up the brightness and contrast by one. Others have set their contrast much lower than I have to preserve blacks, but I don't like the lack of definition in the dark gray areas, so I leave it higher. On your smaller screen, you should be able to click contrast and brightness back to get better blacks I would think.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks threed123. I found out what was causing my problem with the contrast tests. I changed my BD60's Picture from Cinema to Normal. Cinema was noticeably dimmer and was messing with the contrast tests.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/18264503

no.

Stick with what you've got but calibrate that new PJ to that shade using Low lamp and the least PJ-oriented contrast boosting effect.

I'm sure you'll be happy enough...until you decide you want something better that goes beyond such a simple solution.

What would be a better paint for my HC3800? My screen is 106" diagonal. My room is very dark, as described in my first post. I need to roll paint on. I would also consider a screen fabric, if the price is reasonable. But only if it will out-perform a paint. I still have my original 106" frame I built. Thanks.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18290789

What would be a better paint for my HC3800? My screen is 106" diagonal. My room is very dark, as described in my first post. I need to roll paint on. I would also consider a screen fabric, if the price is reasonable. But only if it will out-perform a paint. I still have my original 106" frame I built. Thanks.

threed123 suggested your best choice. Only use the "High Gain" formula. It contains more UPW and so it rills on with less concern.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/18291012

threed123 suggested your best choice. Only use the "High Gain" formula. It contains more UPW and so it rills on with less concern.

Are you saying I should use RX-MaxxMudd-LL? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:

Which specific formula are you suggesting for my HC3800? I'm confused by all these names and mixes. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
i'm fairly sure that MM meant RS-MAXXMUDD HGC.

reason being that the 3800 is not the light cannon that some other 1080p's are... and therefore could be assisted in low lamp mode.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx /forum/post/18314264

reason being that the 3800 is not the light cannon that some other 1080p's are... and therefore could be assisted in low lamp mode.

....what he said.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx /forum/post/18314264

Hmm, I have the 3800 on the 145" screen in low lamp and it's plenty bright. For a 106" screen, higher gain might be too over powering even in low lamp mode. I suggest doing the white sheet test (maybe .9 to 1.0 gain). If it looks good on that size screen unpainted--in low lamp mode, then 1.4 gain screen might be overkill. Hard to say, though, these DIY screens are very subjective.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 /forum/post/18315147

Hard to say, though, these DIY screens are very subjective.

Not to me. I've seen most PJ/Screen combination's, and a DIY Screen that employs Gray and reflective Metallic content has to be WAY off the mark somewhere to not be able to work with a PJ like the 3800.

In this case the pressing issue is one of application. The OP wants to Roll. If he decided to go a bit darker, he'll have to switch to Silver Fire and tat would mean spraying. I'm sure on Low lamp and properly calibrated the 106' screen w/3800 won't disappoint.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone. I may just stick with my Winter Mist paint. If I re-paint it, should I add poly for any reason? If so, 3:1 or 4:1?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is a 1.0 gain screen material something to be considered?

Thx

(Edited as per MississipiMan request. How can be ignored a request coming from someone with over 6800 posts in this forum?)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts