AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic LCD projector with 2500 Lumens, and I am trying to pick out a screen type and size for my home theater... I want to be able to watch in 4:3 aspect & 16x9 ... I need good viewing from an angle. Please keep in mind when replying I am a NEWBIE to all this. please suggest specific models of screens ... are perfarated screens good ?

·
Registered
842 Posts
With that kind of light out put, You should go with a High Contrats (grey screen) either a Grey Hawk from Stewart or a HC from Da-Lite. Just visit their web sights or call them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thnx, but can someone comment on the issue of wanting to watch different aspect ratio's such as HDTV, Letterbox, 4:3 ... Can I use a fixed mount screen ?

·
Registered
842 Posts
You should look into a screen with mask. there are such screen where the screen itself is 4.3 and masked top and button, these mask are ajusted to fit the aspect ratio as DVD aspect ratio chances.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I'm using a 4:3 Grayhawk with a Sanyo XP21N and the contrast ratio is such I don't feel I need masking. I watch a combo of 4:3 and 16:9.

Bright LCDs definitely benefit from gray screens.

Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Danhouch, what size screen do you have ? Is it a perfarated screen ? Because I do want to put the center channel of Audio behind screen, anyone have feedback on this set-up ? And can you give me a link to Grey Hawk screens ?

Thanks !!!!

[This message has been edited by wrongdude (edited 09-04-2001).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm using XP21 with Dalite HP 4x3 screen. Due to the ceiling mount I lose some of the gain, but I'm very happy with this. I feel no need for masking. Contrast is high and there is no perceivable light spill on screen from the XP21. I decided on 4x3 since we watch mainly DVD material and there is quite a bit in 4x3 format including transfers from IMAX films (for which the original format I believe is 1.43:1).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Further to my above posting, although the Dalite HP has a directional quality which gives the high gain, there is no sudden change in brightness as you change the viewing angle either sideways or up/down. With 2500 lumens, and projector 27 ft from screen, mounted 9 ft from floor, even with some ambient light, the brightness is fine from surprisingly wide viewing angles.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I think my 38t looks perfect on a 1.3 gain 100" diagonal white fixed screen. All sources are 80" wide, it's just that 4:3 material is taller. The blacks on the projector are so good that masking never crosses my mind. The bars really are black.

------------------

Joe

"Well, it didn't look like a two-horse town, but try finding a decent hair jelly."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
why is viewing angle 150 degrees with Greyhawk & Only 50 degrees with Da-Lite ? White or Grey ? Which is best ?

Perforation:

THX Certified or CinePerf ? Is onyone using this ? How do they effect the picture quality ? Is it worth having the center channel of the audio behind the screen ?

[This message has been edited by wrongdude (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I am not using a perforated screen. IMO unless your speakers are highly directional, placing the center channel right below the screen works fine.

I have read somewhere around here that there are picture quality issues with perforated screens. I suggest you do a search on this board, both here and on screens area, and see what you turn up.

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.