AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently saw the Sony 16x9 LCD projector at my local video dealer. It looked much better than the one's I saw several years ago.

They were projecting onto a 106 inch screen and from where i was sitting the pixels were visible.

How small of a screen and how far away do you have to be before it goes away?

I was about 10 ft from the screen.

Also, LCD's still don't seem to do blues correctly. They are more purple and tend to have a pastel look.

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
b4z,

The distance depends on the visual acuity of the observer. You can get a more reliable effect by slightly defocussing the projector. The thread http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/005865.html is one of many that discusses this. Also, Cygnus ( http://www.cgns.com/ ) makes the "IMX Image Processor" series of lenses designed to counteract the problem.

If the colors are wrong, then the projector hasn't been calibrated. Most projectors have many service adjustments that aren't available on the "user" menus.

------------------

seb

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is no easy answer for this.

First, have a look at D-ILA technology. It significantly reduces screen door and produces vibrant color. D-ILA is not without it's issues though, which you can read up on in other threads in this forum.

Screen door: Some people are more sensitive than others. Some projectors are better than others. Some forthcoming technology may improve this. Smaller image size will reduce this. Sitting further back will reduce this. Slightly de-focusing will improve this slightly. There is no absolute answer, you'll need to go by your personal impressions.

In terms of specifics, I use a JVC G15, and would be Ill equipped to discuss the merits of other projectors specifically, though other members can give you first hand impressions of a variety of other options. If the G15's price point is within your budget, don't miss giving it an audition along with the others.

-Ted-

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The Panamorph from Cygnus nearly eliminates screen door as well.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yes Cygnus use to make a lens that all but eliminated screen door. I still have mine, and it works like a charm. Maybe Shawn needs to make a come back with these old lenses since LCD's are going to be around a long time it seems http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I think I paid 400.00 for my lens, there is no way i would sell it for twice that. So there is a answer to screen door.And the best part is..it doesn't soften the picture. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif

------------------

Mike

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Since it has been awhile since i have missed with a LCD projector i wanted to know if it is still possible to focus the image smaller by just turning the lense?

I would probably run a smaller screen than most of you, probably around 70" wide.

Will this get rid of the screen door effect if i sit 12-13' feet back?

·
Registered
27 Posts
In terms of the 10HT, if you will be using a screen size of 70" diag (16:9 aspect ratio) you can mount the projector between approx. 88-100 inches from the screen and zoom in or out to fit that size screen. It's really hard to say whether the screen door will bother you. I would suggest going back to the AV dealer and stand 15-16 feet back, if there is room, and if it bothers you at that distance then you will probably see it in your environment, too. I don't think its possible for anyone with 20/20 vision or worse to see the screen door all the time in different scenes at twice the screen width. Like I said before, its usually really bright scenes where the screen door can be scene and even then its only some bright scenes not all.

With any projector, I would recommend going to at least an 80" screen. The reason is because at 80" I think that size picture will live up to what your sound system is producing. The other reason is that alot of DVD's are recorded in the 235:1 format which means, even on 16:9 projectors you will lose some of the top and bottom of your screen making your viewing area even smaller. A slightly larger screen size than you prefer could become the right size in these instances. Also, for a screen not much smaller than what you are looking at, you could just by a RPTV and maybe skip some of the headaches that are inherent with the installation and viewing of FPTVs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You probably need to sit approx. 15-16 feet (twice the width of the screen rule) away from a 106" diag. image to eliminate/minimize the screen door. Sitting 10' away from an image that big is like sitting 2-3 feet from a 31" television set. I think most people would see lots of problems sitting that close to a 31" set, too. I have a 31" set and sit 12-15 feet back from it.

I have the 10HT and don't recall blue being a problem to reproduce. More than likely the set at the AV dealer is at factory specs which means the neither the red, blue, or green panels have been optimized. I sit about 16 feet away from a similar screen size and cannot see the screen door when I wear my glasses but can barely see it at times when I wear my contacts. But then I have to be looking for it under the right circumstances in order to see it. This is usually during a very bright sky scene with me then looking to the edge of the screen. If you have better than 20/20 vision you may need to sit farther than twice the screen width.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.