AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When looking at the DLPs in Best Buy from a distance of around 9 feet for the 56" TVs, I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is the so called screen door effect. What I'm seeing is sort of a graininess over bright spots of whatever picture is on the screen. For example, if the video is of the inside of a house and you see a bright blue window, there's sort of a dusty, grainy look to the bright blue sky in the window. I see it on all the DLPs. Is that what they call the screen door effect?

·
Registered
315 Posts
No SDE is the gap you see between the pixels on and LCD for example. If you get close enough it looks like you are watching the picture through a screen door, use your imagination for that...

DLP's are projection tv's and do not spaces between the pixels. At least none that I have ever seen.

-Craig

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 /forum/post/0

What I'm seeing is sort of a graininess over bright spots of whatever picture is on the screen. For example, if the video is of the inside of a house and you see a bright blue window, there's sort of a dusty, grainy look to the bright blue sky in the window.

You are seeing the texture of the screen, and it's visible on all RPTV sets that have glare reducing non-reflective screens. That's all of them except the $13,000 Sony Qualia which is no longer produced.

Here at AVS what you see is referred to as Silk Screen Effect (SSE).

The only way to avoid SSE is to buy a flat panel plasma or LCD set. Of course they will have their own set of unique problems to discover.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare-air /forum/post/0

No SDE is the gap you see between the pixels on and LCD for example. If you get close enough it looks like you are watching the picture through a screen door, use your imagination for that...

DLP's are projection tv's and do not spaces between the pixels. At least none that I have ever seen.

-Craig

The absence of space between pixels is most certainly not a product of a projection TV. More specifically, an LCD projection will display said effect while a DLP will not despite the fact that both TVs are projection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.