AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For those with the X1, when do you normally see the Screen door effect? I was watching LOTR and some parts were blurry in the background. Would that be the screen door effect?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Move your face closer to your monitor until you can see the pixel grid. That's screen door.

Blurriness is nothing to do with screendoor... it's the visibility of the pixel grid. It's like you are looking at a scene through a screen door.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The closer you get to the screen, the more aparent the screen door effect. It's easier to notice (see) if you have a white/light background displayed and you walk right up to the screen and view. It looks just like the above picture.

Sonicflood

·
Registered
16 Posts
Personally, I have to be about 6 feet or less from a 92" screen (using an SVGA resolution projector) before it becomes a problem for me. And this is comming from someone who has 20/20 vision.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't think that the image above accurately portrays the effect... screen door is still very apparent on a DLP (if you want it to be)... the credits at the end of a movie are a good example of a time when screen door would be visible...

most people overcome this by slightly blurring the image, the image will be just as sharp, colors just as true, but instead of a pixel lighting a rigid square that is EXACTLY 1/8" square (depeding on your screen size and resolution) it will light an area that is roughly 10% larger than that, so that the color "bleeds" over the black bars that make up the screen door... don't confuse what I am saying to mean that it will decrease the image quality, because I am not talking about "blurry" as in glaucoma or coke bottle glasses, I am talking about a very slight adjustment to the focus lens to de-emphasize the small gaps that have to exist between the LCD pixels or the DLP mirrors...

with that slight adjustment you have to be within a few feet (less than 4??) of the screen to see the screendoor...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mgithens
I don't think that the image above accurately portrays the effect... screen door is still very apparent on a DLP (if you want it to be)...
Actually ... it is a pretty good representation of what screen door will LOOK like. It is just an extreme exageration (once again ... thanks T.I for stuffing exaggerated marketing down our throats :D )

Screen door will vary depending on technology, screen size, lumens, viewing distance, focus, source material, etc etc etc ... but that is pretty much what it looks like.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mgithens
I don't think that the image above accurately portrays the effect...
Now there's an understatement if I ever heard one !!!;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.