AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just demo'd an EIKI 800X600 (300:1 contrast) projector with 480P input from my DVD player and the screen door was very bad at 14' away with 80" diag image.

Will a higher resolution LCD projector reduce the screen door? Or does it have to do with other things in the particular projector?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Fill-rate between LCD projectors differ as well. I believe the latest and greatest LCD projectors have a 60% fill rate. The one you saw, if it is relatively old, might have as low as 40% fill rate (that is, 60% of the area is actually black).

Most people defocus their projector a little bit to reduce the screendoor effect.

Higher resolution helps too. People claim that a 1280x720 projector has virtually no screendoor until you sit within 1.0x screen width distance away.

With a 960x540 projector, many people prefer sitting at 2.0x.

I sit 1.3x distance from my Sanyo PLV-Z1 (960x540) that is slightly defocused, because I'm stupid and really should sit at 1.6x or more. :D

I do see a fair bit of fixed pattern noise (8 pixel wide bands going across the screen). I hope to tweak that when I have spare time, assuming it can be done.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Most people defocus their projector a little bit to reduce the screendoor effect.
Another thing that can help is the projection screen. If you happen to be using a woven screen, sometimes the fibres can diffuse the light a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.