AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good screen for 2d and 3d? Screen size will be 115" or so. I don't really have a budget, but the less I have to spend the happier I will be

I know there are many considerations to choosing a screen. To sum up what I am looking for here are some things about what I am looking for.

-Projector would be possibly a Sony VW95 or other comparable projector.

-Room is all dark colors, non-reflective.

-Light will be 100% controlled but I would like to be able to have some ambient light at times for sports/video games with friends.

-Color accuracy and contrast is very important, I want the best IQ possible.

-I hate dim 3d.

-I am very sensitive to hot-spotting.

I've even considered two screens. One for 2d and one for 3d. I just don't know how I would accomplish that, and how much it would cost.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
3D is not a problem if using active glasses, any screen will work. Get a screen that suits your conditions and it will be fine. A gain screen would be beneficial for that size screen if using the Sony projector.

If you are doing a system with passive 3D glasses then you need a screen which retains polarization. Here the options are more limited. Stewart 5D, SI Black Diamond 2.7, Vutec Silverstar, Da-lite Silver lite 2.5 and Da-lite Virtual 3D Gray would be screens to consider for passive 3D applications.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, the reason I specified 3d is the loss of brightness. I really dislike dim 3d like theaters tend to have, so I think I would need a higher gain screen for 3d, but don't want hot spotting issues.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
If you can keep your room dark Da-Lite's High Power 2.4 is a fantastic screen. If you want a watchable image with ambient light then you'll need a specialty screen like the Black Diamond G3 2.7. Read the threads on these screens for more info & contact the manufacturers for samples.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
You have a couple options for that screen size.

1. Use a white screen with ~ 1.3 gain and use a different PJ that can put an honest 1500 lumens calibrated in 3D mode to account for bulb aging. Use The PJ in a lower power mode or close down the iris if too bright for 2D.

2. Use a 2-3 gain screen and see if the problems that happen with gain screens bother you. Hot spotting, decreased screen uniformity and projector placement issues. These issues can be tough to tell on samples.

3. Use 2 screens. Stewart makes a model called the Daily Dual just for this purpose. They will also calculate the size difference of the two screens so you don't have to adjust the zoom on the projector. Since one screen has to be in front of the other the screen the size changes by a few inches.

#2 is the cost effective solution. 1 and 3 will increase the budget but would probably be preferred. Pick your poison.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL
You have a couple options for that screen size.

1. Use a white screen with ~ 1.3 gain and use a different PJ that can put an honest 1500 lumens calibrated in 3D mode to account for bulb aging. Use The PJ in a lower power mode or close down the iris if too bright for 2D.

2. Use a 2-3 gain screen and see if the problems that happen with gain screens bother you. Hot spotting, decreased screen uniformity and projector placement issues. These issues can be tough to tell on samples.

3. Use 2 screens. Stewart makes a model called the Daily Dual just for this purpose. They will also calculate the size difference of the two screens so you don't have to adjust the zoom on the projector. Since one screen has to be in front of the other the screen the size changes by a few inches.

#2 is the cost effective solution. 1 and 3 will increase the budget but would probably be preferred. Pick your poison.
I've been thinking of the two screen idea... but I checked the prices of the Daily Dual... $15k is a bit (lot) over my budget. I would more likely go with an HP screen and another screen.

Ideally I'd like to have one screen that will satisfy me for both. But I am afraid of the higher gain screen causing hot-spots, and really dislike the too dim 3d I see so often.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
You may want to take a look at the "Screens for 3D Projection" thread ( HERE ) in the 3D section of the forum. Selecting a screen that does retain at least some significant level of polarization can provide, in effect, a boost to the screen's gain for use with 3D projectors that project polarized light (e.g, JVC), even though the polarization is not being used as it is with passive 3D systems to separate the right from the left images. I have not seen any info yet if the new Sony 3D projectors (HW30 or VW95) project polarized light or not. DLP active 3D projectors do not project polarized light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.