AVS Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
From 12’ and 18’ seating distance I would want a 180” 2.35:1 screen doing constant image height presentation.

I think if your HT guy is recommending anything smaller than 150 16:9 screen you need to find a new HT guy. 106” is way to small IMO.
I’m having him come over tonight to review and change things up

Heh! Big! 150" 16:9 at 12' is a 50° viewing angle. I've got about 40° and it's pretty big. The 106" at 12' is 36° which is the thx standard. This is where seeing different installations or putting up a sheet or projecting onto a wall to get an idea of size is very useful. You may find 36° too small, you may find 50° to big or even to small still you may want imax 60°.

See this theater https://www.avsforum.com/ht-of-the-month-the-hahn-theater/?amp
It has a 4 way motorized masking and automated zoom functions for a smaller image for certain content and a huge image for others.
That theater is insane. Must have cost a fortune! The motorized masking sounds awesome but probably comes with a heavy price tag.

With two rows at that distance you can forget the TV. Even the biggest TV currently available would not be cinematic from 18'. Really, a 106" image would be undersized for 12' and 18' viewing distances.

Viewing video projection in the dark is generally referred to as home theater while viewing in ambient light is generally referred to as home video or home entertainment. Most dedicated home theaters are optimized for viewing in the dark while most viewing in ambient light is done in family rooms or living rooms similar to TV viewing. You are just in a unique position of wanting a dedicated home theater with ambient light and are going to need special consideration for your setup.

Other than the $10k you mentioned in the other thread being willing to spend on a projector I haven't seen any further mention of budget. Realistically speaking, what's your total budget for projector, screen, sound system, seating, installation, etc.?
Thank you for the info, very informative. Projector it is! I guess I can dedicate the entire thing to home theater status and use the family room for more causal ambiant light viewing. I’d like to keep the entire project, including install under 25k.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013314viewing-angles/

This is a good viewing angle/field of view resource, showing the different standards.

Depending on where you personally sit in a theater, I think a good rule of thumb is to target 45deg for the prime row.
Thanks for the link

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
... I’d like to keep the entire project, including install under 25k. ...
For $25k you can get a great setup beyond what most posting in this forum have. You can have a premium projector, screen and sound system without cutting corners. A premium dark home theater projector like a JVC can produce realistic black levels whereas bright room projectors sacrifice black levels for more lumens to help overcome ambient light. You can use either type of projector in the opposite lighting environment for which it's optimized but it just won't be at it's best when out of its element.

Same with screens. White screens are optimized for dark theater viewing while ambient light rejecting screens are optimized for use with some lighting on. Either can be used in the opposite environment but won't be at its best. If you want to view in both environments then you just need to optimize everything for the one that's most important to you and accept that while it will be usable in the opposite environment it won't be at its best.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
For $25k you can get a great setup beyond what most posting in this forum have. You can have a premium projector, screen and sound system without cutting corners. A premium dark home theater projector like a JVC can produce realistic black levels whereas bright room projectors sacrifice black levels for more lumens to help overcome ambient light. You can use either type of projector in the opposite lighting environment for which it's optimized but it just won't be at it's best when out of its element.

Same with screens. White screens are optimized for dark theater viewing while ambient light rejecting screens are optimized for use with some lighting on. Either can be used in the opposite environment but won't be at its best. If you want to view in both environments then you just need to optimize everything for the one that's most important to you and accept that while it will be usable in the opposite environment it won't be at its best.
On that note to, the whole HDR thing, which really seems like it needs a white screen, maybe even with a little gain boost(studiotek 1.3) and a fully light controlled room with lights off.

You can do dual screen setups for non hdr material with lights on, you can consider screens like the stewart Graymatte70(custom lower options available) or HALR, Da Lite Parallax .8 gain or 2.0 gain, Seymour Screen Excellence Ambient Visionaire Black .9 gain or 1.2 gain. I suppose some of those could work with HDR as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Makes perfect sense. My dilema is trying to find the best setup to keep from wasting money unnecessarily and knowing what is best for me versus what my HT guy says is best. My limited knowledge is downfall here but am researching the suggestions I get from people here.

On that note to, the whole HDR thing, which really seems like it needs a white screen, maybe even with a little gain boost(studiotek 1.3) and a fully light controlled room with lights off.

You can do dual screen setups for non hdr material with lights on, you can consider screens like the stewart Graymatte70(custom lower options available) or HALR, Da Lite Parallax .8 gain or 2.0 gain, Seymour Screen Excellence Ambient Visionaire Black .9 gain or 1.2 gain. I suppose some of those could work with HDR as well.
Thanks for the suggestions!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts