AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to buy 100" fixed projector screen for the basement. I am looking at Elite, Stewart and Screen Innovations. SI has Black Diamond range which is quite expensive but good when you have ambient light. In my case basement will be dark most of the time (at least while watching projector). Is it worth spending $2600 for SI vs $700 for Elite for the screen in basement. Even Stewart is close to $2000. I can spend money but am trying to justify the reason behind going after expensive screen. Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You said fixed frame? If you're a bit handy at all, you should look at a sheet of 4X8 wilsonart designer white formica (it works out to be about 104" diagonal). You can then simply build a felted frame around it (the "if you're a bit handy" part). The wilsonart is $42 at home depot/. The felted frame cost about $40 to build. $82 for a screen that produces an image better than five of the six samples I've gotten from different companies, and as good as the sixth. I didn't even use the "designer white" as everyone says, as I thought this, now permanent screen, was going to be a temporary thing. I'll only replace it for one reason at this point: If I decide to hang a TV on the wall and get a motorized screen.

There are a few perks about the wilsonart that I have noticed. First, you don't have to be super delicate with it and it's not easy to damage (great if you have kids). Second, it's easy to clean if something does get on it (it's a countertoop afterall). Third, it provides a great image for a very little amount of money. So, if it was damaged somehow... it'd only cost you a trip to the home depot and $42 to fix.. instead of another $700-$2500.

Now, if you can justify $600 to buy an Elite screen over the wilsonart, you might as well justify the $2500 and get the SI Black diamond. At least the black diamond with provide you with a noticeable benefit (ie, it's ambient light performance) over the wilsonart, where the elite might not.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post8380263 Here you can see what others say about it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I used to think that if an expensive screen works, a cheap one should provide at least most of the same qualities. Switching from a Daper High Contrast pull down to a Screen Innovations Black Diamond 0.8 was a real eye opener. I now see details in the picture that I didn't notice before. Simple things like the focus drifting off a bit was not noticeable before, but now, I see it right away.

I have basement room which is pretty dark (not perfect, but close), and having the option of a small light when snacking, or watching a game without the picture quality being shot to pieces is really nice. When completely dark in the room, the picture is absolutely amazing!

·
Banned
960 Posts
If you have the budget for the more expensive screen, it can definitely be a good investment. Keep in mind that this screen purchase will outlast your projectors maybe 3 to 1. When it comes to higher end manufacturers, that's what it's all about....can you justify the up charge. They are better and it's noticeable.

In my opinion, if you are willing to spend on the Stewart or SI screen, go that route, you will not regret it. As opposed to going less expensive and thinking.....how much better would the SI screen look??

Benito

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.