AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade my $200 standard Da-Lite finally (which looks great BTW).

I have the Hitachi SW5500. I run in whisper mode.

Its not "too bright" and the blacks look good so its unlikely that I will be going for a Greyhawk/grey screen.

However a firehawk/high contrast? Maybe!

Problem is I pack them into my room sometimes, so there are often people sitting off to the sides of the screen - what happens to the image on a Firehawk/high contrast screen as you move to the sides?

Will be getting an electric roll down mechanism etc. Looking at Stewart, Da-Lite all brands. Up to $3000 - if its worth it. Would prefer $1500!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have the 5500 with a Stewart Firehawk 96" wide 16x9 electrilux screen and love it.

The screen looks great and helps in moderate ambient light situations.

As far as looking at the image off center, the picture looks just as good to me standing a couple of feet infront and to the side of the screen.

My wife frequently likes to sit on the floor about 4' from the screen and has no problems with the PQ at all.

Kevin

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had 5500 and have 5600 with 78" 4:3 diag Firehawk. I think it really helps the contrast. Yes, you loose noticable brightness as you go beyond the ends fo the screen.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - it sounds like a Firehawk helps. I am looking for a demo in Boston somewhere now.

Basically if you sit off to the sides you lose brightness, but the image doesn't disappear or anything weird like that right?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Personally I haven't noticed that much loss in brightness. As for the Image, it looks great at any angle.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yes, you loose brightness, but it doesn't do anything too weird to the image. It does "hot spot" somewhat through.

For example, if you sit off to the left of the screen, the viewing angle from the left side isn't severe and with the angle of the projector, the bounce is toward you and the left side looks good. But now you have a greater angle off the right side (which is deflected to the right by the angle of the projector), so the right side appears dimmer than the left side. The loss of brightness is not uniform across the entirety of the screen so a "hot area" occurs. Still, I find the picture off to the sides to be superior to my prior 45" Mits Tabletop RP set that the projector/screen has replaced. In that case, you just basically lost the image off to the sides.

We (wife and I) sit in the center so for us it's not an issue. You may wish to view a Firehawk if you think this may be an issue for you. If it's not, this is a good way to go for the Hitachi.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.