AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a severe multipath problem and have seen several notes on putting a screen behind the anttena to block it. Is there a size or type of mesh screen that works best? How big does the screen have to be? Should the screen be grounded? Should it wrap the sides of the anttenna?

Also I have seen comments about checking for HD signals using an analog tv on UHF channels. Since I am trying to get the UFH digital signal (for example channel 18) and there is not an analog station on that frequency does checking for UHF analog (say channel 21) really give an indication of signal stregth and mutipath problems on the frequencies I want (digital channels)?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Since the antenna I used for such a purpose was a book-size Silver Sensor , I tried a piece of aluminum foil of similar size. Couldn't imagine trying this without being able to watch the screen as you move the shield around. In the intense multipath NYC region it works some of the time. I might just be blocking microreflections occurring within my viewing room.

I tried a UHF antenna test with the single-rod antenna on a 10-in. B&W set just to see how UHF signals were getting through. IMO, it gives a very rough idea of performance (zero UHF images implies digital UHF isn't going to work too well, although ATSC can produce images at times when NTSC UHF isn't working. While tinkering, thought I detected a slight change on screen while tuning a digital UHF station channel on my 10-in. analog set. -- John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.