AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic AE1000U I am going to ceiling mount in a 14.5'x24' room, with the seating preferably around 12'-14'. I am wondering what would be a good screen size for this? The screen needs to be retractable (manual or electric, whichever one will last longer without needing replacement).

Any good suggestions on size and brand? The budget is $2000.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a Carada screen for my AE-1000U, it arrived today but I haven't opened the box yet. My room is 14' x 24', seating will be about 12-13' from screen. I bought a 118" Criterion series in Brilliant White, I went with the increased gain due to the larger screen size and some concern about whether the 1000U would be able to put out enough pixels at that screen size in a 95% light controlled room. I figured I would rather it be too bright and be able to adjust the PJ rather than it being too dark...

Anyhow, like I said I haven't put the screen together yet, but I will say that David Giles at Carada has to be the friendlist customer service guy I have ever met. He answered 3 e-mails of mine in a single day, each within 15 minutes of me sending it! Plus the screen arrived at my doorstep 3 business days after my order. Amazing...

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeyush /forum/post/0

I have a Panasonic AE1000U I am going to ceiling mount in a 14.5'x24' room, with the seating preferably around 12'-14'. I am wondering what would be a good screen size for this? The screen needs to be retractable (manual or electric, whichever one will last longer without needing replacement).

Any good suggestions on size and brand? The budget is $2000.

Thanks very much!

It depens on what's more important to you. My theater room is 24' long X 13' wide and I went with a 96" Carada BW screen. For me, PQ is the far more important then size. Once you go over 100", you gradually start to lose a little picture quality. Generally speaking, most would never notice it, but I do, and the bigger you go, the more you lose.

To me, anything bigger then 106" in a room that size is just flat out ridiculous, but that's only my opinion and it really boils down to whatever floats your boat. My advice would be to go with the size that attracts you the most. I highly recommend the Carada BW, it's an excellent screen and would mate well with your projector.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought a lot about screen size, I knew I wanted to go at least 110", if you look at optimal seating distance from the screen (1.5 x width) that puts you somewhere around 12 feet or so. I walked off my room and since my seats are going to be 13 feet I went with the bigger screen. I have seen lots and lots of posts on this forum talking about how the screen seemed huge at the beginning and then "shrunk" over time. Lots of people wishing they had bought a bigger screen. I have not seen too many where people wish they had bought a smaller one, though.

My opinion may change once I get the screen on the wall and watch a movie, but I was in a theater this weekend and paced off where I like to sit vs. the screen width and I was remarkably close to my seating ratio in my home theater (actually a little less than 1.5). If you like to sit at the back of the theater then go with a smaller screen...I usually sit smack in the middle of the seating...

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathans_Dad /forum/post/0

I thought a lot about screen size, I knew I wanted to go at least 110", if you look at optimal seating distance from the screen (1.5 x width) that puts you somewhere around 12 feet or so. I walked off my room and since my seats are going to be 13 feet I went with the bigger screen. I have seen lots and lots of posts on this forum talking about how the screen seemed huge at the beginning and then "shrunk" over time. Lots of people wishing they had bought a bigger screen. I have not seen too many where people wish they had bought a smaller one, though.

My opinion may change once I get the screen on the wall and watch a movie, but I was in a theater this weekend and paced off where I like to sit vs. the screen width and I was remarkably close to my seating ratio in my home theater (actually a little less than 1.5). If you like to sit at the back of the theater then go with a smaller screen...I usually sit smack in the middle of the seating...

Oh heck man, I wasn't picking on you or anything and I sincerely apologise if it came across as if I was picking on you or your choice. I was just trying to help the OP and offer up my opinion based on my years of experience with projectors and varies sizes of screens.

If the size you went with works out for you, then that's great, for that's all that really matters. I think people tend to make things much harder then what they need to be. It really doesn't matter what anybody else thinks, just as long as your happy with your system and the choices you make pretaining to it.

--------------------

PS. I forgot to mention, I did upgrade when I purchased my Carada BW. I went from a 92" to a 96". Not much, true, but still bigger. I got to get some credit for that. lol

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have a 100" Carada Criterion in brilliant white on it's way to me now. I'm mating it with the Panasonic PT-AE1000U, as well. Projector will be 14' from screen, viewing distance will be 12' from screen in a light controlled bonus room. Hope I did good!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Da-Lite 133" High Power screen. I sit 14' away from the screen and have the 1000U another 2-3 feet back right above my head. Could not be happier, because it looks just like a 133" plasma tv with the high gain and pj placement. I cared more about size the PQ so i didn't mind going over 100". I love the THEATER feel it gives. It's also a Model C if you're worried about it being retractable. works very well, no problems but there is one "V" wave on both sides. it's not noticable at all until a large panning screen comes along, but even then its really not bad. HP does well hiding waves.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop7199 /forum/post/0

I have a Da-Lite 133" High Power screen. I sit 14' away from the screen and have the 1000U another 2-3 feet back right above my head. Could not be happier, because it looks just like a 133" plasma tv with the high gain and pj placement. I cared more about size the PQ so i didn't mind going over 100". I love the THEATER feel it gives. It's also a Model C if you're worried about it being retractable. works very well, no problems but there is one "V" wave on both sides. it's not noticable at all until a large panning screen comes along, but even then its really not bad. HP does well hiding waves.

Wow, this is something like the setup I want to do. I wasn't sure if the 1000U would be that bright from about 16" back onto a 106" diag screen. The screen would be a Da-Lite High Power. Now you've got me thinking about going a little bigger.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I just got my Panny today and a 100" Carada Criterion screen. I don't have the ceiling mount yet but just have it table mounted. It looks terrific! Can't wait to get it mounted and keep tweaking it. I'm about 12' from the screen. Front projection is the way to go!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I got the Carada 110 BW screen 2 weeks ago, very easy to put up, and the picture looks great. I tested all the screen samples from Da-lite and Carada, and the BW looked the best. The people at Carada are first rate, they take very good care of you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am about to pull the trigger on the Panasonic pt-ae1000u 1080P projector and was looking into buying a screen as well, preferably a fixed frame screen. I currently have the pt-ae900u and was shooting onto the wall, then we bought a house and I am shooting onto a white sheet for now, yes it does suck! After doing some research I am thinking of paring the pt-ae1000u with the studiotek 130: luxus screen wall. Just wondering if this would be a great fit before plumping the cash down? Here are my room condtiions and setup:

Room 14x12

Projector celing mounted 13 to 14 feet back from where screen would be, mounted around 5 feet above seats. Ceiling is normal cieling height for most houses

dark room, light controlled at all times

light walls for now, going to paint blue later on

wanting to go with 123' screen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.