Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

What screen would go well with the Piano? A high gain (>=1.5), off-white screen? Has anyone used the Firehawk with the Piano? What are the results like?

What do Piano owners out there use? I'll be watching pretty much only at night, so light will be controlled.

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
295 Posts
Joe,

From what I've heard, the only way to go as far as a screen for the Piano, is the Stewart Firehawk. I have not seen this combo yet, but I do know someone who does. He states his evaluation of this match in just one word, "Awesome!!!!!!!!!!". Good luck. -Dan

·
Registered
123 Posts
Joe,

I have a Piano which delivers an awesome picture on a Da-Lite Model B, 50X67. It's a 1.5 gain, I watch it at about 12'. The Piano fills it perfectly on an anamorphic DVD at this distance, ceiling mounted. About $220, delivered.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
IMHO, gray screen is too dim for Piano wimpy 450 lumens. I second Video Spectra as a reasonable, cost-effective larger screen (80-96" wide)for Piano. Beware that the higher the gain, the more risk of rainbows and the lower the contrast (grayer blacks). Higher gain gives Piano that color punch that it needs due to being 1) DLP, 2) 450 lumens. I don't care if Firehawk is 1.3 gain, the silvery color will mute colors and whites. You could get away with a gray screen if you go with a smaller screen (

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a Piano with a grey screen - KBK's digital grey. It is 87" wide. I have not measured the gain. KBK's info on the goo gave me the impression that my gain would be greater than 1, but not by a whole lot. I enjoy what I've got, but Huey may have a point. Or several.

I think that the grey screen delivers a picture with more body and better feel for the darker portions of the image, but at the expense of some brilliance and rendering of bright colors. On a brigher PJ, that tradeoff is probably less noticeable, but on the Piano it is clearly there.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I don't understand the last post: a brighter projector would show *more* benefit from the "grey" screen (as was mentioned before that).

I have a Da-Lite HC (.8 gain) screen and have auditioned a Piano (as well as an AE-100). While the Piano had an excellent scaler (LD's actually looked OK), it just wasn't bright enough to take the "hit" from the low-gain screen (that may be why people go with the Firehawk--but then you have other DLP specific issues). If the Piano had more lumens (not to mention a VGA in), it would be much more attractive. I'm convinced the

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm not sure what wasn't clear, but I agree with the above post. The brighter the projector, the better it is able to take a low-gain screen. Grey is not necessarily low-gain, however. Isn't that the point of the Firehawk? And for the DIYers among us, consider that KBK has a hi-gain grey that might work well with the Piano. I used his lo-gain grey.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I try Piano with 123" FireHawk, to big for plus but I try with 100" still ok with the picture... of course with total light control.

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.