AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with experience with the Runco VX-5000ci, I'm very curious about your screen recommendations:

- brand?

- style? (e.g., Firehawk, Greyhawk, etc.)

- size?

- perforation?

I'm hoping to run up to a 10' screen in a dark room, but don't want to push it too far (i.e, I'd like it to be bright without blotches or color problems - who wouldn't!).

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 118" wide Stewart Firehawk screen for my Runco VX5000ci. At the time I made my purchase, the Firehawk was not even offered with perforations.

I am very happy with my projector and screen.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rjeht
I have a 118" wide Stewart Firehawk screen for my Runco VX5000ci. At the time I made my purchase, the Firehawk was not even offered with perforations.

I am very happy with my projector and screen.
That's great to hear. I take it this means it's bright enough for you, and doesn't exhibit any "hot spots" or such as I'm told screens with gains can do?

Is the brightness only o.k., or really bright? I'm asking as if I get it perforated I'll lose another 10% or so.

Finally, are you equally as happy with the projector? I'm trying to decide now between the Runco DLP, or going with a CRT. I have a dark room (so I can do CRT), but I'm attracted to the brightness (and bigger screen) and ease of DLP.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am very satisfied with all aspects of the picture. The Runco does allow for rather extensive adjustment to the picture so the picture can be tailored for your individual tastes. The light output is more than enough to handle my screen and I would expect it to handle a Firehawk perforated screen (if available-I was told by a Stewart rep that the Firehawk was not available as a perforated screen) as well.

If you are serious about a large sceen, I would suggest you steer clear of a CRT unit. Although I did not personally view all available CRTs, I found none that was even recomended for a screen even close to the size I wanted and I certainly was not interested in stacking 2 or more units.

Although I am happy with my setup, I would caution against using such a large screen unless you have a large theater to match. My rows are 12', 18' and 24' away from the screen. The 18' row provides the best seat in the house for most viewers, but some prefer seats in the 24' row. I personally avoid the 12' row because I find it hard to take in the entire picture that close to the screen. However, a couple of my kids love the front row.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
I am very satisfied with all aspects of the picture. The Runco does allow for rather extensive adjustment to the picture so the picture can be tailored for your individual tastes. The light output is more than enough to handle my screen and I would expect it to handle a Firehawk perforated screen (if available-I was told by a Stewart rep that the Firehawk was not available as a perforated screen) as well.

If you are serious about a large sceen, I would suggest you steer clear of a CRT unit. Although I did not personally view all available CRTs, I found none that was even recomended for a screen even close to the size I wanted and I certainly was not interested in stacking 2 or more units.

Although I am happy with my setup, I would caution against using such a large screen unless you have a large theater to match. My rows are 12', 18' and 24' away from the screen. The 18' row provides the best seat in the house for most viewers, but some prefer seats in the 24' row. I personally avoid the 12' row because I find it hard to take in the entire picture that close to the screen. However, a couple of my kids love the front row.

This is very helpful, thank you.

My room is 31' x 16' and I'm planning a 120" (width) 16x9 screen. I was thinking of only two rows (I just can't imagine having > 7-8 people). The first at 14', and the second at 20' (approx). I'm measuring from the back of the seat when reclined (i.e., where the person's head will be when reclining), so sometimes the viewer will be a bit closer (how were you measuring?).

Does anything (bad or good) jump out at you from my plan?

I've pretty much decided against perforations (even if available). Now, I'm just trying to decide Firehawk vs. Greyhawk.

Thanks again, this is very helpful.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Grating, you can call Stewart directly for the answer to that question (800) 762-4999. Just give them the model of the projector(s) you are considering.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I was designing my theater, I came across a great article on screens. It included a nice discussion on field of vision and seat placement. It also included a section on screen height and it may have even addressed calculating the necessary light output from your projector for your screen size. Although your dealer can help with these issues, I was not about to spend the money I did on a HT without understaning the concepts and the principles upon which they are based. If you are interested, I'll try to track down the article for you to review.

The gain is significantly different between the Grayhawk and the Firehawk and, although the Runco could probably handle the 118" Grayhawk, I did not want to take a chance and elected to purchase the higher gain Firehawk(16 x 9). I know of no particular specific advantage of the Grayhawk and would note that the black levels on the Firehawk are excellent.

With respect to your seat placement, will your placement be fixed? If so, I would be somewhat concerned with having half my seats at 14'. My floor is tiered (so the seat distances are fixed) and , as I indicated, I personally prefer the greater viewing distances provided by my back 2 rows. My measurements are to the back of my Berkline HT recliners, when in full upright position.

I have 12 seats in my HT, 4 in each row. In the few months we have had the theater, my son has packed the house a couple of times and my daughter actually had 14 people in the HT. We have had as many as 8 adults and will also probably fill the house when the Superbowl and NCAA football and basketball are available locally on HD. My message- don't underestimate the number of seats you will need.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you can find the article, I'd love to see it. Thanks again.

Quote:
When I was designing my theater, I came across a great article on screens. It included a nice discussion on field of vision and seat placement. It also included a section on screen height and it may have even addressed calculating the necessary light output from your projector for your screen size. Although your dealer can help with these issues, I was not about to spend the money I did on a HT without understaning the concepts and the principles upon which they are based. If you are interested, I'll try to track down the article for you to review.

The gain is significantly different between the Grayhawk and the Firehawk and, although the Runco could probably handle the 118" Grayhawk, I did not want to take a chance and elected to purchase the higher gain Firehawk(16 x 9). I know of no particular specific advantage of the Grayhawk and would note that the black levels on the Firehawk are excellent.

With respect to your seat placement, will your placement be fixed? If so, I would be somewhat concerned with having half my seats at 14'. My floor is tiered (so the seat distances are fixed) and , as I indicated, I personally prefer the greater viewing distances provided by my back 2 rows. My measurements are to the back of my Berkline HT recliners, when in full upright position.

I have 12 seats in my HT, 4 in each row. In the few months we have had the theater, my son has packed the house a couple of times and my daughter actually had 14 people in the HT. We have had as many as 8 adults and will also probably fill the house when the Superbowl and NCAA football and basketball are available locally on HD. My message- don't underestimate the number of seats you will need.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Quote:
I know of no particular specific advantage of the Grayhawk
The GrayHawk offers two advantages over the FireHawk. Due to the lower gain of the GrayHawk, it has a much wider viewing angle and less tendency to hotspot. Whether or not these advantages are meaningful depends on your seating arrangement as well as your projector. If you have seating that extends beyond the sides of your screen for a seating distance of 1.5 screen widths away, then the wider viewing angle of the GrayHawk can be an important consideration. Hotspotting can be a serious issue for short throw projectors (say f 1.5 or less).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would recommend talking to Runco directly. I'm buying the VX1000ci and using a 110" Firehawk screen. I emailed Runco on recommendations. They probably won't recommend one brand over another, but for my screens size they highly recommended the Firehawk as the best Stewart screen for my application.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.