AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an epson 3800 on the way. Plan to purchase a 135" AT screen. Seating distance somewhere between 14' to 17'. Room will be completely dark and I'll be painting the walls and ceiling in front of the screen black.

Would a grey screen help the black levels enough to offset the lower light reflection compared to a white material? I'm looking at either elite screens or silver ticket at the moment.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I guess it depends how much reflections you get from the rest of the room. If truly no external ambient light and you watch in the dark the white would be my choice but the gray may help with the poor black level of the 3800. I would get the projector first and experiment with samples.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it depends how much reflections you get from the rest of the room. If truly no external ambient light and you watch in the dark the white would be my choice but the gray may help with the poor black level of the 3800. I would get the projector first and experiment with samples.
I was thinking the same thing. I am looking at the silver ticket AT screens, though I'm concerned about low stock and out of stock screens if I wait.

·
Registered
104 Posts
In a light controlled room, there's no reason not to use a white screen. You will get plenty of contrast if you set your projector correctly.

If you really need the extra boost, a gray material will be great for adding contrast, without reducing the brightness that much - I've seen a silver ticket with a .95 gain dark gray acoustic screen which barely reduces the brightness at all, while significantly increasing the contrast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts