AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere in this forum (at least I think it was in this forum) I recall seeing a pic of a very large curved screen frame fabricated with light steel tubing. Might have been in the screen forum, but I didn't think so. If anyone remembers seeing it (or even knows what the heck I am talking about), and knows what thread it is in, please post a link to it.


Thanks!


Willie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
I have seen some screens here use 80/20 metal tubing. It appears to be easy to work with and i have considered going this route. I don't know about curved but maybe that provides a clue to what you are looking for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
I used 80/20 extruded aluminum for my custom non-curved frame, and love it. I suspect it would be very difficult to curve most of the extruded products without special gear. most of the profiles have internal structures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1468731/screen-frame-fabrication#post_23217318


In the DIY screen section there are two pages of threads with the word Curved in the title

http://www.avsforum.com/newsearch?advanced=1&action=disp&search=curved&titleonly=1&byuser=&output=all&containingforum[]=110&replycompare=gt&numupdates=&sdate=0&newer=1&sort=relevance&order=descending&Search=SEARCH

I have searched the whole forum using a ton of varying search criteria and have come up short; was hoping someone would remember the pic of what I am describing.


I have a maintenance guy that I employ that does metal fabricating on the side working for another firm. He is willing to fabricate a light weight frame. He is pretty handy and I thought the pic I saw could help considerably.


I will run through the title search.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,018 Posts
Here is a link to the beginning of Moggie's screen fabrication. He also has links on the 1st page of his thread to his other screen-related posts.
 

·
RETIRED theater builder
Joined
·
36,116 Posts
I've assembled a sum total of One curved screen. It was a SeymourAV 140 inch wide beast. From what I could tell it was their standard aluminum screen frame profile, just bent. For curved screen a key aspect is the exact amount of tension. If you tug too much from side to side it will deform the curve. The Seymour product comes with O-rings and screen fabric with grommets. They were positioned perfectly and the tension was just right. After seeing their product I would be hard pressed to attempt to justify saving money on a DIY effort.


I realize that saving $1500 or so on a finished screen is pretty tempting, I would build my own speakers before attempting a curved screen frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1468731/screen-frame-fabrication#post_23218596


I would build my own speakers before attempting a curved screen frame.

Next on my list. PI or SEOS.


Just killing time waiting to get my current home sold so my wife and I can begin building a new one. Champing at the bit actually . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman  /t/1468731/screen-frame-fabrication#post_23218534


Here is a link to the beginning of Moggie's screen fabrication. He also has links on the 1st page of his thread to his other screen-related posts.


Very helpful. I picked up a custom size Seymour Centerstage XD that was cancelled by someone else; gromits are built in and it includes the o rings. What is pictured in Moggie's thread will work. Most of the pics of Sandman's theater were removed sometime ago. May have been where I saw it.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1468731/screen-frame-fabrication#post_23218596


I've assembled a sum total of One curved screen. It was a SeymourAV 140 inch wide beast. From what I could tell it was their standard aluminum screen frame profile, just bent. For curved screen a key aspect is the exact amount of tension. If you tug too much from side to side it will deform the curve. The Seymour product comes with O-rings and screen fabric with grommets. They were positioned perfectly and the tension was just right. After seeing their product I would be hard pressed to attempt to justify saving money on a DIY effort.


I realize that saving $1500 or so on a finished screen is pretty tempting, I would build my own speakers before attempting a curved screen frame.

Having been through the exercise of building a curved screen I can attest it is probably 10 times more difficult than a flat one. The primary reason I understood the challenge (other than I'm naturally stubborn) is that I wanted an integrated masking system. Now the price differential between a DIY project and a commercial one is closer to $10-$15k !


The tensioning of a curved screen needs to be done carefully with minimal tension in the horizontal direction, however, I didn't have any difficulty or residual distortion with my build.


For anyone looking to build a curved screen with metal framing, most metal supplies have bending equipment for steel tubing. Unless they are a very modern shop they will need the "depth" of curve for given length rather than radius because they will probably have to run it through the machine a couple of times and inch up to the perfect radius. Cold bending aluminum is typically not possible unless the section is designed for it. Hot bending, ideally done at the time of extrusion, is hugely expensive -- I know I researched it in depth.


Here's the frame I put together. The curved sections were created by a local metal yard as described above:




Cheers,


- Paul.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top