AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of building a basic poplar 1x4 frame similar to this frame method

Will this frame method be strong enough to put some blackout cloth on....and what is the best way to attach it nice and flat?

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassco /forum/post/20827911

I am thinking of building a basic poplar 1x4 frame similar to this frame method

Will this frame method be strong enough to put some blackout cloth on....and what is the best way to attach it nice and flat?

Have you thought about doing other versions of the DIY screen? Perhaps Sintra or Wilsonart Formica? Based on other's experiences, those two methods will produce a superior image to that of BOC. Then you could wrap that frame with velvet and use it as a border instead

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm starting to lean to the wilsonart side....i already bought the boc, guess i could use that for some other project. Anybody know the sq/ft cost of wilsonart formica?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassco /forum/post/20828446

I'm starting to lean to the wilsonart side....i already bought the boc, guess i could use that for some other project. Anybody know the sq/ft cost of wilsonart formica?

First, on no way will the shown Frame be able to handle the stretched pull of BOC. You would need some "Simpson String Ties" Right Angles that would be 5x as large...almost filling in all the wood shown.

Wilson Art? Is that because you don't want to paint on a surface that would really deliver exceptional performance? (...fer shur BOC would have left you 'wanting' in that respect.
)

Sintra is FAR more workable and resilient to damage. If not buffed out, it actually can produce a very good image in it's own right. I've never really advocated it for such, as I am somewhat fixated in the realm of Ambient Light performing Screens, something no "white screen" can ever do much more than present a 'watch-able' image....not a spectacular one.

The Frame you show would be suitable as a supportive foundation for 6mm Sintra to hang on/from. Depending upon the size of the size of the screen, even 3mm would work.

With the WA/DW, you always have to deal with using adhesive (never screws), with potential for damage (chips/cracks) before or afterward.

It also needs support across it's width less it sag inward/outward.

No doubt WA-DW can provide a great "White Screen" image. But it also come with to many "what if" and OMGs for my taste.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So as far as screen materials go, you prefer sintra over boc and WA/DW? I plan on spraying a silverfire v2 mix.

Screen size is 97 x 52....would 3mm sintra work there?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassco /forum/post/20828789

So as far as screen materials go, you prefer sintra over boc and WA/DW? I plan on spraying a silverfire v2 mix.

Screen size is 97 x 52....would 3mm sintra work there?

If it's attached to a Frame like shown, and is hung straight....most assuredly.

For that size you will have to purchase a 120" x 60" sheet and have it cut. I'd suggest that you have the Sheet cut to 103" x 58", and build a Frame that matches those dimensions. Apply the Sintra using a good adhesive and compress the sheet onto the frame using Flat head screws. let the adhesive dry, remove the screws, then overlay your 3.25" wide Black Velvet wrapped Trim onto the 3" space you have surrounding the 97" x 52" screen area.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't find a sintra supplier near my with 120" x 60" sheets.

Since I already have the boc I'll just stick with that. Would ripping some 2x4's down the middle into 2 x 2 sticks be strong enough with enough middle bracing?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I would recommend using hardwood, not (softwood) dimensional lumber. The latter will more prone to warping.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassco /forum/post/20833474

I can't find a sintra supplier near my with 120" x 60" sheets.

Since I already have the boc I'll just stick with that. Would ripping some 2x4's down the middle into 2 x 2 sticks be strong enough with enough middle bracing?

That would be very unwieldy, and as mentioned just above, susceptible to...no..scratch that....bound to warp.

I'm just afraid your going into something your not really prepared for, nor aware of what is, and what needs to be. That's not a put down...it's a common occurrence. And a primary reason we try as hard as we do to educate and assist Noobs and experienced DIY'ers alike.

I strongly suggest you do some copious searching of related threads (...I know you never saw a working BOC Screen using the bracing you showed...) and reading about just how much effort really goes into making a "large" BOC screen that doesn't sag...doesn't twist... won't warp... isn't crazy bulky and heavy, and wind up costing too much time and cash for the end result obtained.

Far better it would be to simply order some Wilson Art Designer White from a Home Depot or Lowes, or wait for a Stock Transfer* order of Sintra and make everything be so much easier on yourself.

The WA-DW still requires a good frame, but at least not one that must be made so as to not allow a stretched taut material to introduce bowing or a twist.

* If you order a sheet and wait to allow it to be shipped with a Incoming Stock order, often you will not be charged for any shipping.

We are here to help, no hinder. To advise, not dictate. But please understand that at times we can also get a bit concerned when people start down the wrong path...or the right path but lacking sufficient awareness of the pot holes one can encounter along the way.

Really just trying to avoid your bustin' a Rim.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassco /forum/post/20836920

Looks like I'll have to go the WA/DW route

I'll follow this build here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1303114 ....will post pics when I'm done!

Mine wilsonart is working well for me. Good luck
I did, however, buy this damn spray gun and probably need to use it for something. MM, suggestions? lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeage30 /forum/post/20837743

Mine wilsonart is working well for me. Good luck
I did, however, buy this damn spray gun and probably need to use it for something. MM, suggestions? lol

What kind of spray gun is it? What paint mix did you use?

PM me if you want to sell it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.