AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking using a "DIY screen", but I was wondering about screen gain. I don't know much about the subject. I heard RPTV use high gain screens, so I was wondering if a glass bead screen, with a 2.5 gain, would be good for the 1031Q, since it's not the brightest projector around?

·
Registered
16,596 Posts
the 1031 is not the brightest of crt units , this is correct .

-- I would stay away from anything over a 1.5 gain as you will create hotspots and lose much of your off angle viewing capacity . I would recommend a 1.3 gain for the best all around results with almost any crt unit . However you will have a hard time with finding a higher than unity gain D.I.Y solution [ other than the KBK Screen Goo - which is excellent by the way ] .

-- I use the Parkland Plastics material with my 1031Q and could not be more pleased [ especially for a

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
you can use a curved 13 gain screen and you wont get hotspots

xanatos

·
Registered
16,596 Posts
while xanatos may be correct with his statement his posts always seem to assume that the user has an unlimited budget ;) [ more power to you if you can afford a Torus but I would not suggest a D.I.Y Torus - very difficult IMHO ] .

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I say 72" wide 1.0 matte-white tripod screen. Da-lite has some affordable models. You can snag one off eBay for around $130. You can get very nice brightness on a 72" wide screen with a 1031Q. As far as a curved screen goes, aren't we talking a hyperbola? To me that implies limited viewing angles. Maybe I'm completely wrong. But still, I think if you could afford a curved screen then you would have a G90 instead of a 1031Q and maybe someone to install it for you while you sip mixed drinks. :D Another factor in getting a screen with gain higher than 1.0 is how varying will the angles will be of people watching the screen. If it is just you and/or someone else then you could probably get away with a bit higher gain screen as you can pretty much get a straight on view. But in my case, I pack people in like sardines in my living room and with all the varying angles I like a 1.0 gain screen for uniform brightness and no color shifting from all angles. Honestly, while the 1031Q isn't very bright, for movies, where peak lumens matter more than ANSI lumens, 500 does the job nicely. You should be fine so long as you stay under 90" wide, 72" being a nice size IMHO. Besides, you go really large screen size and you will begin to see scanline gaps more readily doing 480p.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'd stay away from glass bead. Disperses light at screen surface reducing sharpness. You shouldn't need any gain on up to 100" screen unless you have problems with ambient light.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 1272 and a DIY canvas screen with 3 coats of Behr Ultra Pure White paint. I have been very pleased with the results but I'm always looking for improvements.

Would the KBK Screen Goo make a noticable improvement over the Behr Ultra Pure White paint?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
dagamepimp

i`am not talking about a tORUS MY GOD UP TO 60000$$$ AND MORE

i`am talking about a vutec a 100 inch 4x3 about 1000$$ a 120 inch

4x3 around 2000$$ still a good bit of money but not a no limit budget

XANATOS:D

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I would go higher then the 1.5.

Stewart recommended the 1.8 to me and I have a Barco 1208, which is brighter then the 1031.

The only time I see hotspoting is when it is an extremely light seen or pure white like when you open Notepad or something.

Video looks great and I like the extra brightness.

As far as off axis, I was stunned to see how good the off axis viewing is. Compared to the RPTV it is just unbelievable.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm using a painted 80" DIY screen with my 1031Q. The paint mixture consists of ultra-white eggshell and ultra-white semi-gloss at a 2:1 ratio. I am very pleased with the results and there's no hot-spotting. The picture is plenty bright and I never find myself wishing for a brighter picture. My contrast is set below the point of blooming on all three tubes.

I could make it brighter if I wanted but the light output at its current settings looks just right to me.

Keep in mind that the tubes in my 1031q are as close to perfect as they can be without being new...and I also have the tube phosphor ubber-maximized.

Larry

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm currently using a DIY 45x80 Parkland screen with a 1031Q & 1251 and have been quite happy with the results.

Sean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.