AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for opinions on best screen gain for DLP projectors between 800 and 1000Ansi lumens. I have read that higher gain screens (2 to 3 gain) provide the brightest picture. Can anyone comment on if there is any hotspotting, and if the blacks are affected by the high brightness of the screen?

· Registered
554 Posts
I used a Dalite high power (2.8 gain) 80-inch wide screen for an older LCD projector that was rated at 350 lumens, and it worked very well. When I upgraded to a Compaq MP1600, I found that the picture was nice and bright on the high gain screen, but the rainbow effect was just too much to take. I was pretty bummed out, and was going to sell my MP1600, but then I noticed that the rainbow effect was almost unnoticeable when I viewed the image with some ambient room light. That's when it occurred to me that the high gain screen might be exacerbating the rainbow artifacts, so I decided to try one of those homemade blackout-fabric screens that are so popular on this forum. Viewing the DLP image on my new screen is much better. Black levels are better, and the rainbow artifacts are much more tolerable. They're still there, but they don't jump out like they used to. If I'm not looking for them, they really don't detract from the movie.

Making a blackout-fabric screen was a simple and fun project, and now I have a 16:9 screen that's the exact size I want. The image is better, my wife finds it less objectionable, and best of all, it only cost $23. I highly recommend it.

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.