Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I apologize to everyone in advance if this is a really stupid question, but I'm planning out a home theater for my new home that is soon to be built and I'm wondering how far from the ceiling the top of the screen should be. I'm 99% decided to go with the NEC HT1000 as a front projector. This will be my first FP. I will be using a 16x9 screen with a 100" - 110" diagonal. The reason I'm asking is that the HT room will have 8' ceilings and I'm interested in using a Paradigm 60 as the center channel speaker, which is 36" tall. The height of the screen will be between 50" - 54" (based on my calculations), so if I just clear the speaker, that would put the top of the screen just 6 inches from the ceiling (on a 110" diagonal screen)... is that too high? Would I need to elevate the seating positions? What is considered an ideal screen height? Please advise a newbie on his first post at AVS...:D

·
Registered
575 Posts
Others will be better able to give you the numbers, but I do not think you will be able to pull this off with the HT1000. The offset is quite significant.

I'd suggest going to the NEC site and checking out the user manual for the HT1000. They have a chart that provides the vital statistics for screen placement.

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
I once had my screen mounted that high and it was a mistake!!!!!!!

Even if you can make it work with the projector, it becomes a neck strain and just not as comfortable as a lower mounted screen. Sit in your chair and look forward. I would suggest having the middle to lower middle of the screen at eye height. I'm no expert, but I do know we enjoy our screen much more now that it is lower.

Scott

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...

Looked up the installation guide and it seems the bottom of the screen will be 13 inches from the floor using a 110" 16:9 screen. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to go with the Paradigm Studio CC as a center channel unless I turn a Studio 60 on its side. Thanks anyways...

·
Registered
695 Posts
It might not need to be quite so low. The 16:9 formulas in the installation guide assume that you will be projecting in the center of the panel. But the HT1000 lets you move the 16:9 window to the top of the panel. So you can actually use the 4:3 formula for calculating the vertical offset.

-Dylan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.