AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a custom cabinet built for my living room which will house a 60" GWII. Any "rule of thumb" as to how high the screen center should be?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Most people would probably say that the height should be such that your eyes should be at the center of the screen when in your normal or most common viewing position -- and your right and left channel speakers should also be at eye/ear height. There is a noticeable dropoff of high frequencies if your tweeters are placed too high or too low.

Some people prefer a slightly lower viewing position, as tilting one's head up is more uncomfortable than tilting it down. Of course the opposite is true if one is leaning back in one's chair or on a couch.

I can't speak for the 60", but the 50" has a middle-of-screen height about 23.5" from the bottom of the base/foot -- hence, a 37.5" middle-of-screen viewing height requires a 14" stand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks eweiss. So what you're saying though is that you placed your tv with a 37.5" center. How did you arrive at this number? Just felt like a comfortable viewing position?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kush
Thanks eweiss. So what you're saying though is that you placed your tv with a 37.5" center. How did you arrive at this number? Just felt like a comfortable viewing position?

Thanks again.
Yes, comfortable, because my eyes are at about 38" above the floor when I sit in our couch. So I strove for a 38" height for the center of the screen. The best stand I could find for a reasonable price was a 17.5" high stand (it's very hard to find stands less than 20" high -- finding a stand for the 60" gives you VERY limited choices, as a 38" screen center height means about a 12" high stand -- but if you build your own, you can make it). So my center of screen is 17.5" + 23.5" = 41" center-of-screen viewing height. Not perfect, but very very acceptable.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by randall
eweiss: Could you identify your stand and where you got it? Thanks.
Bush Furniture model VS47832

http://www.bushfurniture.com/html/tvstands_51.htm

I got it at Circuit City, $100. Since the store I went to didn't have it, he sent me to a store 15 miles away and knocked the price down to $80.

A comparable size/price is the IKEA Kaxas -- the 2-shelf, $100 model. I can't find any but the one-shelf $59 Kaxas at the IKEA Web site, but someone on this forum, from Canada I believe, bought a 2-shelf Kaxas unit -- about the same dimensions as my Bush Furniture stand.

There are no local IKEA shops in the Dallas area, so I can only see what's on the Internet.

The Bush stand is one of those 1-2-hour-assemble-it-yourself particle board kits, and it's slightly wobbly, if you push it from side to side -- no real big deal considering the light weight of this TV, though. If I keep the stand, I may partly take it apart and glue the sides and centerpiece to the top and bottom to diminish any kind of wobbliness. It fits the width of the 50" GWII base perfectly, and has room enough in front for my 6"-deep center channel speaker -- which I offset a few inches so the TV can respond to the remote. The only thing I don't like is that the shelves don't go the full depth -- my DVD player sits as far back on the shelf as it can, otherwise the tray hits the glass doors when it opens. On the other hand, if I open the door before I eject a DVD, it's not an issue. The dark gray color goes well with the light gray of the GWII. Bush has a wood-toned version of the same stand, for $129 -- also at Circuit City, the VS47536:

http://www.bushfurniture.com/html/tvstands_50.htm

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
Yes, comfortable, because my eyes are at about 38" above the floor when I sit in our couch. So I strove for a 38" height for the center of the screen. The best stand I could find for a reasonable price was a 17.5" high stand (it's very hard to find stands less than 20" high -- finding a stand for the 60" gives you VERY limited choices, as a 38" screen center height means about a 12" high stand -- but if you build your own, you can make it). So my center of screen is 17.5" + 23.5" = 41" center-of-screen viewing height. Not perfect, but very very acceptable.
eweiss-

So you are a 38 ! I'm a 38 1/2...yea, we are both fanatics. It was a little embarrassing though...my wife came into the rec room one day last month only to find me with a yard stick next to the side of my head looking at a blank wall...sitting there in "the zone" on the sofa. She said "Oh no! Now what are you measuring"? They JUST don't understand !!!:D

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Suzook
does sony make one that will fit the bill or is it to high as well
Sony has a nice stand for this TV and the 60" -- I think it's about 14" high. It's $599, though, at Circuit City. And, I don't think it is as deep as mine, which means it might not have room for a 6" deep center channel speaker in front of the TV.

Plus, the glass shelves are fixed -- but it's a longer cabinet.

Awful lot of money for particle board and glass, though (there is some metal, too -- the back brace with the cord-controller holes) ... At that price, I'd expect solid hardwood with a nice finish!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.