AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know the ideal height to place my screen. I will hang an NEC 110LC as close to a 9' ceiling as possible. I'm using a 84''x47'' 16:9 screen and my viewing distance is about 12'. Any help would be appreciated.

Terry

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hi Terry,

From what I have read and heard is that a comfortable viewing would be to measure your eye level one third up from the bottom of the screen. My second row of seats is on a riser, so I am averaging the two viewing heights between 1/3 height of the first row and 1/3 height of the second row of seats.

I think if you try and place the screen to high, then you are going to end up experiencing neck fatigue.

Don

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
What Don says works very well, and his neck fatigue issue is very valid. I find looking down to the screen preferable to looking up, so the center of my screen is roughly in line with my eyes.

When watching a 2.35:1 movie, I align it with the bottom of the 16:9 screen and find that more comfortable (strange I know).

At the cinema, I prefer to sit at the center to back rather than at the lower front for the same reasons.

It's all personal preference really, so if you build it for the people who will be watching it the most (you), then you won't go far wrong.

Gary.

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
The recommendation my dealer gave me was to have the bottom of the screen between 28 inches and 32 inches off the floor.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
That wouldn't work in my case because my eyes are around 36 inches off the floor - I'd have a sore neck after a while....

My screen is about 17 ins off the floor and is 84 x 47.25, and couldn't go any higher due to the sloping roof. My viewing distance is also about 12ft.

It probably works fine for your seating arrangements though.

Gary.

·
Registered
24,883 Posts
I think there is some good advice here and I'd like to throw in a few comments. If you are having multiple rows of seats one needs to consider this as well. The center of your screen, vertically, being right at eye level seems to be a great starting point. In my case one must look up in the front row and it takes only about 30 minutes to get a tired neck. My chairs recline and I lay almost all the way back in the front row and have a head rest as well. This makes the front row comfortable. The middle row has the middle of the screen right at eye level and this seems to be just right as has been mentioned. In the back you look down slightly which is also comfortable.( but way too far away for me :) )

Art

·
Registered
306 Posts
Also consider speaker placement. Many people think placing the center speaker above the screen is better than having it below. You probably don't want the center speaker up against the ceiling because of unwanted sound reflections from the ceiling. Of course with front projection systems, if you hae a microperforated screen you can put the center speaker behind the screen.

Ergonomic studies show computer users prefer a slight downward angle while using monitors. If you are reclined in a seat that changes things.

If you have multiple rows, you need to consider if people in the rear seats can see the entire screen.

Before attaching your screen permamently, experient with different heights until you find one that is comfortable and visible from all viewing locations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.