AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Was wondering what you guys out there have for your screen height from the floor for projector screens.

20", 22", 24", 30" from the floor? Referring to bottom of screen not the frame.

I am trying to find a compromise between projector distance from ceiling vs height of screen. It's a JVC projector which is 80% lens shift.

Will be 110" 16:9 or 106" 16:9 fixed screen.

Eyes to screen is about 10.5' to 11'.

I have recliners but sometimes may sit upright and I won't recline very far back.

Trying not to have to look up too much.

Thanks,
K.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Do you put your feet up sometimes? Around 22inches should be plenty for a slight back-recline with your feet up...If you don't put your feet up, you can likely go several inches lower if you want.

My screen screen is higher than that (which is still comfortable), so I feel like there's a good amount of wiggle room if you prefer having the screen a bit higher so the projector can be mounted closer to the ceiling.

An 80% shift should let the projector have the center of its lens roughly 14inches-16inches above the top of the image...I think a screen-bottom around 20inches above the floor or higher should allow you to mount that JVC very near to the ceiling if the room is 8ft-tall.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you put your feet up sometimes? Around 22inches should be plenty for a slight back-recline with your feet up...If you don't put your feet up, you can likely go several inches lower if you want.

My screen screen is higher than that (which is still comfortable), so I feel like there's a good amount of wiggle room if you prefer having the screen a bit higher so the projector can be mounted closer to the ceiling.

An 80% shift should let the projector have the center of its lens roughly 14inches-16inches above the top of the image...I think a screen-bottom around 20inches above the floor or higher should allow you to mount that JVC very near to the ceiling if the room is 8ft-tall.

Hi,

Thanks. My room has 9 feet ceilings so that will be tricky to get it close to the ceiling. I want to allow a small amount of horizontal lens shift as well. I’m thinking 24” or 27” from floor? I want the flexibility to put my feet up as well, but I can’t have everything right? :)

These are the seats:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I'm reading mixed things on JVC's shift range, but it sounds like (as long as you're ceiling-mounted upsidedown/standard) you might have as much as 20inches/40%-screenheight-above-lens worth of vertical shift.
You'll definitely have room to put your feet up, but you might need to mount the projector with a bit more breathing-space between it and the ceiling if you prefer the screen's bottom around 20inches above the floor instead of something like 30inches above the floor.

Can you set the JVC mount-facing-floor and project a 106"-110" image on the wall and measure the height of the as well as the image from the floor after making sure the image is square?

I suppose the tall ceilings at least mean that even with a projector a foot away from the ceiling, you still won't feel like you need to duck underneath it.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm reading mixed things on JVC's shift range, but it sounds like (as long as you're ceiling-mounted upsidedown/standard) you might have as much as 20inches/40%-screenheight-above-lens worth of vertical shift.

You'll definitely have room to put your feet up, but you might need to mount the projector with a bit more breathing-space between it and the ceiling if you prefer the screen's bottom around 20inches above the floor instead of something like 30inches above the floor.

Can you set the JVC mount-facing-floor and project a 106"-110" image on the wall and measure the height of the as well as the image from the floor after making sure the image is square?

I suppose the tall ceilings at least mean that even with a projector a foot away from the ceiling, you still won't feel like you need to duck underneath it.

Thanks. No I can’t project onto floor :(

Yeah just will look weird over a foot from ceiling :)
But it’s a dedicated HT room so I guess may be ok.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. I meant to project onto the wall with the projector on the floor or a chair to see exactly how much shift-range you have available.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the confusion. I meant to project onto the wall with the projector on the floor or a chair to see exactly how much shift-range you have available.

Yeah just need to move my heavy chair out of the way :)

·
Registered
9,162 Posts
It is much easier and safer to play around with image position with the projector sitting on a box and turning your thinking around 180 than to be up on a ladder trying to simulate where the projector should be. Even if you have to push a big chair out of the way.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hi All,

Was wondering what you guys out there have for your screen height from the floor for projector screens.

I am trying to find a compromise between projector distance from ceiling vs height of screen. It's a JVC projector which is 80% lens shift.

I have recliners but sometimes may sit upright and I won't recline very far back.

I have my screen 20" from the floor with two rows of recliners. The 2nd row is on two risers approximately 14" above the first row. There's a large 7" platform riser along with another smaller 7" riser that's just under the seats themselves. Some additional information:

• 133" (diagonal) screen
  • JVC DLA-X550R Projector
  • 7' 8" Ceiling
  • 16' Lens to Screen
  • 11' front row viewing distance
  • 17.5’ 2nd row viewing distance

This works great for me. The link to my theater room pictures, along with system diagrams and additional measurements and details are in my signature. The first 'picture' is a theater room layout with measurements.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is much easier and safer to play around with image position with the projector sitting on a box and turning your thinking around 180 than to be up on a ladder trying to simulate where the projector should be. Even if you have to push a big chair out of the way.

Thanks makes sense

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have my screen 20" from the floor with two rows of recliners. The 2nd row is on two risers approximately 14" above the first row. There's a large 7" platform riser along with another smaller 7" riser that's just under the seats themselves. Some additional information:

• 133" (diagonal) screen
  • 7' 8" Ceiling
  • 16' Lens to Screen
  • 17.5" 2nd row viewing distance

This works great for me. The link to my theater room pictures, along with system diagrams and additional measurements and details are in my signature. The first 'picture' is a theater room layout with measurements.

Nice theatre :)

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
Wow, hundreds of questions over the past few years and still no finished home theater? Didn't you post back in 2016 that you were looking to install that screen? Folks are going to get the idea that this is all theater of the mind. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts

• 133" (diagonal) screen
  • 7' 8" Ceiling
  • 16' Lens to Screen
  • 17.5" 2nd row viewing distance

How far down off the ceiling is your projector? And, how far from the ceiling is the top of your screen?

·
Registered
557 Posts
How far down off the ceiling is your projector? And, how far from the ceiling is the top of your screen?

I’m not at home right now, but from memory and by looking at my pictures in the link below (in my sig), the center of the projector lens and top of the screen are about 6-8” from the ceiling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m not at home right now, but from memory and by looking at my pictures in the link below (in my sig), the center of the projector lens and top of the screen are about 6-8” from the ceiling.

Sorry, I could have figured that out! Thanks!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sorry, I could have figured that out! Thanks!

No problem! Hope it helps you out.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Mines 24 inches from the floor and toes are about a inch under the level of screen when reclined. I guess that would vary depending on recliner models....:D

Just for reference, it is cone angled just like the image.......actuall feet height at recliner is 27 inches....so depending on distance to screen.....toe to screen is approx. 7 foot in my case you might have some wiggle room.

Best way is recline all the way back, look at the wall and have some one move their finger up and down until its about your toes.......then give it a inch or 2 for different sized feet, unless you are size 15.....;) I am size 8, so I guess a size 14 foot would be into the screen.

I guess my theater is not big and tall approved......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks,
K.
There is actually a science to it and is generally calculated by seated eye level based on anthropometric dimensions of an adult male/female statistical mean, with consideration given to vertical viewing angles of elevation/depression.

I will reference Irwin Seating Company who supplies seating for theaters, arenas, etc.. Irwin uses 44" as a horizontal eye level with an 18" seat height based on averaged ergonomic studies. With this reference in mind let's look at your situation.

You're looking at a 16:9 x 110" diagonal screen which has a vertical viewing height of 54" and you've decided that you want to sit at ~10.5' - 11.0" from the screen. If you measure from the floor to the seat height of your recliner I think you'll find that it is ~18" high as this is pretty much standard.

So, assuming that you're seated at floor level and you want seated eye level to be at the lower 1/3 of the screen using the 44" horizontal eye level reference; screen height of 54"/3 = 18". Eye level 44" -18" = 26" screen height from floor. If you're wanting 25% screen depression (% screen below eye level) it would work out as 44" -13.5" = 30.5" screen height from floor.

If you're reclining, your eye's will be tilted up and you may want to place the screen slightly higher.

My screen is approximately the same height as you're looking at in scope aspect ratio. I'm also taller than the Iwin reference putting my horizontal eye level at ~50" and I like to view with a 25% screen height depression. We also have a second row of seating with a riser as well. So my screen mounting height is at 38" high.

If I were you, I'd mount at 30" minimum and 36"-38" mounting height will give you some room underneath the screen for speakers if you need it as well as using your recliner.

Here's a couple links for Irwin Seating and Anthropometric Reference data tables for the US from 2006.

https://www.irwinseating.com/resources/auditorium-design/common-terminology/eye-level

https://multisite.eos.ncsu.edu/www-...16/06/Anthropometric-Detailed-Data-Tables.pdf

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is actually a science to it and is generally calculated by seated eye level based on anthropometric dimensions of an adult male/female statistical mean, with consideration given to vertical viewing angles of elevation/depression.

I will reference Irwin Seating Company who supplies seating for theaters, arenas, etc.. Irwin uses 44" as a horizontal eye level with an 18" seat height based on averaged ergonomic studies. With this reference in mind let's look at your situation.

You're looking at a 16:9 x 110" diagonal screen which has a vertical viewing height of 54" and you've decided that you want to sit at ~10.5' - 11.0" from the screen. If you measure from the floor to the seat height of your recliner I think you'll find that it is ~18" high as this is pretty much standard.

So, assuming that you're seated at floor level and you want seated eye level to be at the lower 1/3 of the screen using the 44" horizontal eye level reference; screen height of 54"/3 = 18". Eye level 44" -18" = 26" screen height from floor. If you're wanting 25% screen depression (% screen below eye level) it would work out as 44" -13.5" = 30.5" screen height from floor.

If you're reclining, your eye's will be tilted up and you may want to place the screen slightly higher.

My screen is approximately the same height as you're looking at in scope aspect ratio. I'm also taller than the Iwin reference putting my horizontal eye level at ~50" and I like to view with a 25% screen height depression. We also have a second row of seating with a riser as well. So my screen mounting height is at 38" high.

If I were you, I'd mount at 30" minimum and 36"-38" mounting height will give you some room underneath the screen for speakers if you need it as well as using your recliner.

Here's a couple links for Irwin Seating and Anthropometric Reference data tables for the US from 2006.

https://www.irwinseating.com/resources/auditorium-design/common-terminology/eye-level

https://multisite.eos.ncsu.edu/www-...16/06/Anthropometric-Detailed-Data-Tables.pdf

Thx guys for the responses :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts