AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is possible or not within my budget but I'm considering replacing my manual pull-down 80" Hi-power. I have to stay under $300 for this to work so if I'm dreaming... just let me know, I can take it.

Current Setup:

Projector

Panasonic L300u LCD

The bulb is at 2500+ hours so it's getting dim

Ceiling mounted with lens 83.5" off the ground and 104.5" from the screen

Screen

80" diagonal Hi-Power (16:9, 70" x 39.5")

Hanging from ceiling and pulls down in front of pictures

Top of screen is 75" off floor, bottom about 36" off floor

Seating

Eye levels of viewers range from about 36" to about 43" off floor

Distance from screen is same as lens, 104.5" or about 8.7'

Most viewing happens within width of screen

Some seating up to 36" outside of screen width (both sides)

When seated in these extreme positions, closest part of screen is 8' away while farthest part is 11' away

Room

Light maple wood floor

Ceiling is white

Wall directly behind seating is beige but covered with pictures (no glass on pictures)

Side walls are far way

Basically a long skinny room with the projector setup crossways

I originally got the hi-power because I used to have a table top setup and loved the bright punchy image. However, now that my setup has changed to real ceiling mount the gain has dropped considerably, as has the bulbs output. The high power is still nice as it is useful in rejecting ambient light which I can never fully get rid of during the day. It also doesn't show waves which was a big plus considering my budget and setup dictated a ceiling mounted screen that retracted.

As for new screens, I would only consider upgrading if I could make the image brighter. I doesn't have to be much but it does have to be something... Meaning, if my effective gain off the Hi-power was 1 in my seating position (just a guess?) then replacing it with a matte white wouldn't gain me anything... correct? Plus I would lose ambient light properties. I can go up to an 84" screen if needed.

Any ideas on my options?

I figure I would run into the same problems with a grey wolf as with a hi-power having such a short throw and a ceiling mounted projector.

I've heard the waves are pretty much unavoidable in the HCMW Da-lite.

Does anyone think I might be getting negative gain using my Hi-Power (meaning a matte white might be an improvement)?

I assume I need an angular-reflective screen as opposed to a retro-reflective...

Are there any reasonably cheap materials that meet this criteria and come in a pull down form? Or am I dreaming...?

I'm only planning to keep this setup for another year which is why I want to keep costs down. Most likely I'll be going with a new projector and a much bigger screen down the road. If a new screen can't be had for that money, I may invest in a new bulb but that would only be a temporary fix until it ages again.

So a new bulb or a new screen? Thanks a bunch for everyone's help in advance!

-Matt

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Matt,

Can't help you much with screen selection as I am not aware of ANY high gain screens that are angular reflective in that range. What about a 1.3 white or ....here's a thought. Why not just replace the bulb for $2XX?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that is the debate I was trying to pose... sorry if it didn't come through in my rambling.

My bulb should have another 2000+ hours on so I figured I could keep using it. However, if there is a screen for less than the price of the bulb which would give me better brightness (or the same but with better blacks) , I might be interested. Especially seeing as how the brightness boost from a new bulb will most likely be short lived (100 hours before dimming again).

-Matt

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has to be a pull down. Is it possible to paint my existing screen or is the DIY paint to fragile to stand up to the abuse?

-Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.