AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I'm moving into my new house very soon. The unfortunate part is that the living room isn't extremely conducive to movie-watching, what with the typical fireplace with TV cut-out above it. I really can't stand looking up at a screen, but having a TV in front of the fireplace on a stand isn't going to work.

SO! I had the cunning plan of having a motorized screen above the fireplace, and that (obviously with the fireplace off), have the screen come down in front of the fireplace to watch TV/movies/play games.

The dimensions of the room aren't huge, though...

I'll be sitting approximately 9-10 feet away from the screen, so I was thinking a 60" screen. My problem is that I want a decent quality MOTORIZED 60" screen. Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm having a terrible time finding one!

Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
You can't find one, because if a company offered one, it would sell about two per year. Sixty inches is too small even at 9-10 feet. I would recommend at least an 84" diagonal in the HDTV aspect ratio (16:9). Elite makes an electric in that size. Believe me, if you do find and buy a 60" screen, the first thing you are going to want in a week or so is a bigger screen.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but I'm unsure as to how to adjust the Elite screens for the extra drop I'll need to keep the screen low enough for comfortable viewing. The Elite screens look to have very minimal drop, and I'll probably need approximately a 12 inch drop...

I like a 75" size more than 84", but the screen types have me confused, too. I love my contrast.... *sigh*. So many options and no real way to test any of it out without paying for it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can order extral drop on the Elite screens. Don't waste your time with the cheap grey screen they have .The screen is horrible. Why would you waste your money on such a small screen? Check out EastPorters cheap screens.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree109 /forum/post/18132258

You can order extral drop on the Elite screens. Don't waste your time with the cheap grey screen they have .The screen is horrible. Why would you waste your money on such a small screen? Check out EastPorters cheap screens.

Why is it a waste of money? I'm not sitting very far away, and if it's too big, that's a much bigger waste of money in my eyes. And what screens are you recommending?

·
Registered
97 Posts
William, I went with a portable pull-up 80" Da-lite (16:9) and am very happy with it. Viewing distance 8'. Trying my best to see if I can fit a 90" in, but I am very limited in width for my HT/family room. I agree w/what has been said here before, do yourself a favor and forget 60".

NCDaveD

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDaveD /forum/post/18136224

William, I went with a portable pull-up 80" Da-lite (16:9) and am very happy with it. Viewing distance 8'. Trying my best to see if I can fit a 90" in, but I am very limited in width for my HT/family room. I agree w/what has been said here before, do yourself a favor and forget 60".

NCDaveD

Fair enough. I suppose I could always project the image smaller if I needed to.
Thanks for the input. Now I need to figure out which motorized screen/company to go to. Contrast/black levels are VERY important to me...

·
Registered
133 Posts
The big advantage of projectors is to have a screen size that you can't get with a tv. I just set up a make shift theater in my living room (until the basement is finished). We are probably sitting no more than 10 feet away and our 120 inch screen looks fantastic.

We are using a da lite hp 2.8 gain screen. That particular screen has a lot of benefits. You could read up on it or just go ahead and buy that one. Most people with that screen are thrilled with it. It works really well with ambient light and has a lot of gain headroom. Most screens are 1.3 gain at the most, the high power starts at 2.8 and goes down to no less than the ones that started at 1.3. Worst case senario, you have the same gain as a 1.3 and best case you have way more gain (brighter image). The pull down and electric models are maybe $100 more than other reasonably priced screens. I'm thinking it's about $500 shipped for a 119in pull down.

Here's my first impression. btw This is my first projector and screen.

I just finished setting up our make shift theater in the living room. Of course when the basement is done we will have a dedicated space with black ceilings and dark walls and full light control etc.

We just watched iron man (it's dark out). All I can say is wow! The detail is amazing. The da lite hp (high power) 2.8 screen looks really good. The 2.8 gain is definitely not too much gain. You would think it would be too bright, but it's not. Also the off angle viewing gain lost is not very noticeable at all. Even at the largest angle (5 to 10 degrees), you can still easily see everything that's on the screen (unlike lcd tv's). After seeing this screen, I can't imagine using a screen with a 1.3 or so gain. I think it would be quite dim. It would probably be more like a movie theater. That's not a compliment. Every time I go to a movie theater and watch for screen (image) quality and it looks washed out.

btw the clarity on our 120in 16:9 screen is outstanding. It's nothing like the grainy images they have at the theaters. With the larger sized screen, there appears to be more relative detail than a high def tv (63in plasma) due to being able to see tons of stuff you could never see with a smaller screen. Obviously there can't be more detail (same resolution), but it appears like there is more.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah I too was worried that 120 in would be too big even at 13 ft.

With the resolution of the blu-ray movies at 1080 it is not an issue. I believe they say that the 1080 resolution allows you to be 1.1 times away from the screen (using screen width not diagonal as the multiplier). That makes a 119 in screen about 8 feet wide viewable at 8.8 ft with no viewable pixilation. A dvd we watched was not perfect, but with the noise reduction set on high, seemed to be at least as good as it looks on my 55inch at 10 feet. I think it may even look a little worse on the 55in.

It seems that the added features of the new projectors really make a difference in how it looks on screen.

We were also worried about making our eyes move around too much by being closer. So far we have noticed no eye strain and didn't even think of that until we remembered that we were wondering about that before we bought our pj.

People usually pay huge premiums to go from a 42in tv to a 70in model. With a projector, all it takes is buying a different sized screen for minimal $$. From what I've been reading, ppl usually wish they went with a bigger screen. When I saw how good the image looked on our 119in screen, I was thinking the same thing. Why didn't I get a 133in, since there is a little more space on the wall.

The usual reason for going with a small screen with a pj is that the image quality increases as the screen size gets smaller. The issue is no one really gets to see how it will look with the same projector with different sized screens. There is usually a lot of ambient light in the theater demo rooms or they put the most expensive pj in the light controlled room.

I'm really impressed with the image quality on our 120 in screen. I really didn't know how it was going to look. I was worried that it would look like a movie theater (dim and washed out) or like other pj's that I've seen in sports bars or in home theater boutiques. I think the detail and image quality is as good as my buddies 63in new model plasma tv. It's just incredible.

·
Registered
133 Posts
 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...018+4294953534

http://www.csnstores.com/Da-Lite-87705-DL7657.html

check out these web sites. The 2.8 high power da lite is under high gain screens over 2.0 or something like that.

With the electric screen you have to call and find out if they will use the 2.8 material or the new (not so good) 2.4 material.

When you order a screen, they call da lite and have them custom make it for you. You can probably request the 2.8 gain material. Call da lite or internet chat with them, they are very helpful.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG /forum/post/18139053

Thanks for the reply. 120" sounds far too big for 10 feet, but maybe that's just me. In any case, I'm not seeing the High Power Da-lite screen on Da-lite's website. Is there an alternative link?

High Power is not the model name of the screen. It is a surface material choice available for many of their screen models. Here is a link to one of their electric models. Scroll down to the HDTV format. Don't let the retail prices throw you; they are heavily discounted if you shop around.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I'm still not certain on the screen technology/type to buy:

I've now narrowed it down to these important factors:

1.) There will be a center channel behind the screen, so acoustic transparency is important.

2.) The screen needs to be able to show good black levels. I can't stand grey blacks...

3.) It needs to be a tensioned and motorized screen....

I'm thinking around an 72"-84" would be plenty big enough. I really will probably me a maximum of 10 feet away from the screen, perhaps 9 feet even. Bear in mind, I tend to sit in the middle to back of a cinema. I really don't like being toward the front.

Please, all recommendations appreciated. I know a lot about direct view TV sets (LCD, plasma etc), but projectors and screens are still completely foreign to me...

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG /forum/post/18367808

I've now narrowed it down to these important factors:

1.) There will be a center channel behind the screen, so acoustic transparency is important.

Hey William,

If the center is going to be behind the screen. AT is not important, it's a must.

I tried it once with a High Power screen with speaker behind and it does not work at all.

Scott

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you everyone for all the help. With the help of scottby and others, I've finally pretty much narrowed this down. Panasonic AE-4000 is on its way to me right now, and I'm going to *likely* get a 85"wide/ 97" diagonal or 90"wide/103.3" diagonal SeymourAV drop-down screen.

I'll set the projector to project against a huge flat white wall I currently have in my apartment, arrange seating/projector to the correct distance as it will be in my house, and once I have the size dialed in, measure it, then that's the screen size I'll get for my new house!

Yay!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.