AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have an Optima HD131xe projector and have been just projecting onto the wall, but I think it is time for a screen.  This screen will be in the main room of my apartment so it will have ambient light.  It will be partially covering a window with vertical blinds so it needs to be mounted away from the wall.  It can be mounted either directly to the wall or can be mounted to my bookshelf which is 59" long (I don't care if the screen is wider).  It is 12' wall to wall so it will probably be 10'-11' throw.  My speakers will not be behind the screen so that is not an issue.  Also as far as mounting the projector, I was just going to put up a bookshelf on the wall behind the couch but read that it needed to be mounted upside down to maintain image quality?  I don't want to spend a ton on a mount if I don't have to.  Thank you so much for your help and if I left anything out just let me know.  

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,178 Posts
Hello and welcome to the DIY Screen Forum

Things to consider:

1: Unless you are a The short throw distance you havewee Hobbit, the 131e's lack of Lens Shift and it's 8" Image Offset would require it be shelf mounted very low on the wall, or Table mounted in front of you, or otherwise a extreme amount of tilt and keystone correction would need to be employed. A extended Shelf above your head ....on the rear wall, or the Ceiling, where you hang the 131e inverted would be best, and need not be expensive,

2.Your Throw distance is the distance between the Len's face and the screens surface...not the center of the Mount. The PJ needs at least 6" space behind it to the nearest surface. As such, and considering a 10' 6" throw, your available screen sizes range from 80" to 96", with 88" being the middle ground. That particular screen measures 43" x 77" (16:9)

3. If your going to hang the screen from the front edge of a Book Case, the Book Case will need to be tall enough. A wall mount would be better, but then where will the Book Case go? Also, considering that a Book Case will be at minimum 9" deep, that depth will have to be subtracted from your available Throw.

4. You can consider a painted Wall Screen since you have been utilizing the wall anyway. If the wall is smooth enough, it will require only a little prep work to make it ideally suited for becoming a high quality screen surface.

5. Taking all the above into account, as well as your stated viewing conditions and PJ's performance, I suggest Silver Fire v2.5 sans Colorant. You will have to spray it, but that isn't a big deal in a 12' deep room. If spraying cannot be considered, the a simple light shaded N8.5 Neutral gray carefully applied with a low nap, high quality Lint Free roller would be the next choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thank you for the tips. Still not sure exactly how I am going to go about it, but this really helped.  The walls are fairly textured and my complex manager said that I couldn't paint them so I will probably go with a wall mounted screen.  The book case height is somewhere around 30" so it isn't too tall.  I might make a blackout cloth screen with Silver Fire v 2.5 paint.  How would that compare to other diy fixed screen options like spandex, thrifty hardboard, sintra, etc?  I have no problems with spraying or building.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts