AVS Forum banner

Where do your eyes hit the screen when sitting in first row?

  • Above vertical midpoint of screen (i.e. screen is mounted somewhat low)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Directly at vertical midpoint of screen

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Below vertical midpoint of screen (i.e., screen is mounted somewhat high)

    Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get an idea if mounting my screen a bit higher is really objectionable or if others sometimes do so. Thanks in advance for your responses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,204 Posts
The general rule is eyeballs are at the bottom third line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
I mounted mine so that at eye level 2/3 of the screen is above it, and 1/3 below it. That's the advice I got when I asked here and searched around some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/15489615


The general rule is eyeballs are at the bottom third line.

+1 This is what I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, just so I am clear have I marked on the following pic the approximately correct locations for the 1/3 line?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,607 Posts
Yes, that is correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,441 Posts
How could you mount it 1/2 way or more to the top without digging a hole in your floor?
Unless you are mounting a small screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/15492081


How could you mount it 1/2 way or more to the top without digging a hole in your floor?
Unless you are mounting a small screen.

That's right. Really I was just trying to gauge whether people strictly adhere to the 1/3 rule. I thought it was the 1/2 rule but now I understand better. It seems like the majority of people set it so front row eye level hits bottom 1/3 line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
At the same time I guess I will build on this question... If you have 8 foot ceilings and for 110" your screen is about 56" high, 4.5 feet (roughly). Sitting, eye level is where, 3-4 feet.


1/3 is around 1.4 feet leaving 3 feet of screen. if eye level is 4 feet + 3 feet of screen, you have 1 foot to the ceiling. Is there any rule as to how close tot he ceiling you can get, or does that not matter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits /forum/post/15492181


At the same time I guess I will build on this question... If you have 8 foot ceilings and for 110" your screen is about 56" high, 4.5 feet (roughly). Sitting, eye level is where, 3-4 feet.


1/3 is around 1.4 feet leaving 3 feet of screen. if eye level is 4 feet + 3 feet of screen, you have 1 foot to the ceiling. Is there any rule as to how close tot he ceiling you can get, or does that not matter?

No. That issue is based mostly on aesthetics and ceiling height limitations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
742 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is how your seating factors in. If you were to sit upright on my theater, your eyes would probably hit below the screen. But when you recline, your eyes are then pointed up towards the screen and it's very comfortable. Even when upright, you don't notice the angle because the first row is 12' from the screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam /forum/post/15489443


I am trying to get an idea if mounting my screen a bit higher is really objectionable or if others sometimes do so. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Hi,


There are standards for the maximum comfortable Vertical Viewing Angle .


Here's a scale drawing of of a profile of my theater which adheres to these guidelines. I have never had anyone complain that their necks hurt from looking slightly upwards.




Larry
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top