AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have locked in on my projector....the soon to be released Sony VPL-HS20 LCD projector.

Now I need to lock in on a 92-inch widescreen diagonal fixed perma-wall screen.

Many have said the Stewart GreyHawk should be my top and only choice....but this may be out of budget...at near or over $1K

Then a second choice is the Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision....this seems to fit better into my budget.

And third was screens from Carada in the High Contrast Grey material.

Any suggestions on products....and where I should shop ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would like to know too!

Can anyone chime in here?

Also, opinions on the silverstar and Carada screens would help.

Basically, what would be the best fit for this projector to give it the best picture period?

TIA

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Archangel
I have locked in on my projector....the soon to be released Sony VPL-HS20 LCD projector.

Now I need to lock in on a 92-inch widescreen diagonal fixed perma-wall screen.

Many have said the Stewart GreyHawk should be my top and only choice....but this may be out of budget...at near or over $1K

Then a second choice is the Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision....this seems to fit better into my budget.

And third was screens from Carada in the High Contrast Grey material.

Any suggestions on products....and where I should shop ?
I keep hearing that the GreyHawk (and FireHawk) is specifically designed for DLPs- I also cant figure out if the HS20 (w/ some ambient light) will mate optimally with this screen; THe Dalite HCCV and Carada HCG seem to be well received here, at least vis a vis LCD projectors.

·
Registered
657 Posts
And even though the purchase has probably already been made, it's important to realize that you can buy the screen material and mount it to a frame yourself - and the cost savings is enough to buy a good subwoofer or a bunch of DVDs.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Further to this question, has anyone had any experience with the Dalite High Contrast Cinema Perf. This perforated screen specs out identical to the HCCV but adds the acoustical benefit of placing center speaker behind the screen.

·
Registered
525 Posts
grab some samples...it will help you out a lot....I finished my sampling and ended up with the carada 1.0 gain white...looked a lot better than the stewart grey or firehawk, and saved me some cash. Email Dave at [email protected] FWIW, I did see a hs10 on a firehawk, and wasn't all that impressed....but ya know how it is..your home is the best place to test...so sample up! 3c

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sony chose to use the Firehawk 100" screen when they introduced the HS-20 at CEDIA. I have to believe they did so for some good reason!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Docray1
Sony chose to use the Firehawk 100" screen when they introduced the HS-20 at CEDIA. I have to believe they did so for some good reason!

Kickback?

Stew

·
Registered
521 Posts
I doubt it; Stewart is the premier screen provider; if anything, Sony might have to PAY THEM to use their product; besides the Stewart products are routinely considered the best in screens, albeit somewhat overpriced. I personally think the Da-Lite CinemaVision would be just as good as the Firehawk here, but I just reported what Sony used!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I also dont think it's because of kickbacks. Perhaps they just simply needed that screen in that environonment, that is, need to mitigate a lot of ambient light and/or lots of reflections and have relatively high(er) gain. Did they demo in a light sealed booth/room?

·
Registered
521 Posts
The "room" was relatively light controlled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.