AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many interrelated variables that I don't know where to start.

In the process of building a movie room in the basement. Plan to install a projector and screen. For projectors, I am currently looking at the Panasonic 8000 and the Epson 5030, although this is open for debate.

Room will be fairly well light controlled. Screen wall is 12'6" wide x 9 ft high. Seating distance will be 12-16ft (two rows). Projector will be ceiling mounted - distance is flexible, but will be in the 15ft throw range. Primary use is movies (including 3D), although some gaming will be involved.

I originally planned on going with a 120-125" diag 16:9 screen. Motorized is also needed, so screen can be put away when not in use.

My plan is also to go in-wall speakers with an AT screen. Free-standing speakers are not an option for me (dogs and kids). I have also decided against a false wall for the same reasons (as well as the loss of space it creates).

Should I be looking at "woven" or "perf" screens?

At a 12 ft seating distance, will either woven or perf AT show dot or a moire pattern?

At 12ft, will either pose problems for 3D viewing?

A 125" 16:9 screen should measure 109" across. That leaves about 20" on each side of the screen. Should I simply place my speakers in that area and avoid AT altogether? (Speakers would still be in-wall, but to the sides and below the screen.

What about 2:35 screens? I was told that very little content is available is that format (and I would be using "zoom" as opposed to an anamorphic lens). I have to relook at my current blu-ray collection, but I don't recall watching anything with black bars on my current 16:9 TV (although I may just not have noticed them).

To keep my 16:9 content similar to the above, I would need to look at a 2:35 screen that is about 140"-144" wide. Is this practical in a room with 150" of wall width? Since I would have to go AT in this situation, is the increased cost really justified?

Finally, any reasonably priced brands to consider? I am not looking to go "cheap" and realize that motorized and AT add the price. However, I am not looking to break the bank either.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help that can be offered.

·
Registered
19,830 Posts

Quote:
At a 12 ft seating distance, will either woven or perf AT show dot or a moire pattern?

At 12ft, will either pose problems for 3D viewing?

A 125" 16:9 screen should measure 109" across. That leaves about 20" on each side of the screen. Should I simply place my speakers in that area and avoid AT altogether? (Speakers would still be in-wall, but to the sides and below the screen.

What about 2:35 screens? I was told that very little content is available is that format (and I would be using "zoom" as opposed to an anamorphic lens). I have to relook at my current blu-ray collection, but I don't recall watching anything with black bars on my current 16:9 TV (although I may just not have noticed them).

To keep my 16:9 content similar to the above, I would need to look at a 2:35 screen that is about 140"-144" wide. Is this practical in a room with 150" of wall width? Since I would have to go AT in this situation, is the increased cost really justified?

A lot of people like AT screens, but for the concerns you have, that is why I went with non AT screens. You could just mount your inwall speakers to the left and right of the screen. You'll need to consider where to mount the center channel.

I find that my movie / HDTV watching equates to about 50% 16:9 and 50% 2.35:1 formats. I wound up splitting the difference and getting two separate electric screens - one 59.5 x 106 x 122 diagonal ( 16:9 _ and one 50.2 x 118 x 128.2 diagonal ( 2.35:1 ) - it's worked quite well, but you need a projector with power zoom and focus !

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer  /t/1525391/screen-material-help-needed#post_24579173

A lot of people like AT screens, but for the concerns you have, that is why I went with non AT screens. You could just mount your inwall speakers to the left and right of the screen. You'll need to consider where to mount the center channel.

I find that my movie / HDTV watching equates to about 50% 16:9 and 50% 2.35:1 formats. I wound up splitting the difference and getting two separate electric screens - one 59.5 x 106 x 122 diagonal ( 16:9 _ and one 50.2 x 118 x 128.2 diagonal ( 2.35:1 ) - it's worked quite well, but you need a projector with power zoom and focus !

I have considered mounting speakers to the side/below the screen. This would limit my screen size. If I go 16:9, it is doable - with a diagonal size of 120-125, there would be room on a 150" wall. This would put the speakers in the corner, so I don't know if that's an issue.

Going to a 2:35 screen, I would like to have a 140-144" width. That would also let me get ONE screen and still watch 16: content in the desired size (using a projector with zoom). This plan would necessitate an AT screen as the screen would take up almost the entire width of the wall.

·
Registered
19,830 Posts
144" wide is a big screen. In my opinion you would need a Sony VW600 to light that up unless you like a dim picture. Especially with an AT screen, most of which are less than a gain of 1. Remember - lamps dim fairly rapidly - I just changed the lamp in my projector this weekend.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer  /t/1525391/screen-material-help-needed#post_24579248

144" wide is a big screen. In my opinion you would need a Sony VW600 to light that up unless you like a dim picture. Especially with an AT screen, most of which are less than a gain of 1. Remember - lamps dim fairly rapidly - I just changed the lamp in my projector this weekend.

Didn't realize that would be an issue.

I am considering an Epson 5030 or Panasonic AE8000. Throw in the 16-17ft range. According to online calculators, that should be able to accommodate the size and also be bright enough. Are the calculators that far off? I wouldn't want a dim picture. I am also contacting some screen manufacturers to see if my wall (150" wide) can accommodate a 144" wide screen. I may have to either settle for something 130-135 wide (for 2.35) or just go with a 16:9 screen.

Too many variables to consider.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts