AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On your 16:9 TVs, what screen modes do you use for 4:3 video signals?

If you use 4:3, are you concerned about the bars on the sides burning in the screen?

Also, on DVDs that are letterboxed, but not amorphic, what do you do for those?

I am on the verge of buying a 16:9, probably a Pioneer Elite, and was wondering if I could get some insight.

Thanks!

TJ

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I have the Toshiba 16:9 sets. On 4:3 material, I use the WIDE 1 mode, which stretches the outer third of the image. On letterboxed material, I use the WIDE 2 mode. Each time I view a DVD movie that is not anamorphic, I scroll the image either up or down so that I don't have black bars in exactly the same part of the screen all of the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On my Sony KP51HW40, I use wide zoom (leaves the center unstretched and gradually stretches the sides...there's more detail in some other posts). Most of the time it's not very noticable (if it is I'll turn on standard mode with the gray bars).

The exception to the above is when I watch TNN which has that god-awful black bar constantly on the bottom of the screen. In this case I use zoom mode so that it gets chopped off.

As I seldom use standard (or really watch that much 4:3 stuff for that matter) I'm not worried about burn-in.

When watching widescreen non-anamorphic DVD's I use zoom so that it fits properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.