AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the Da-Lite Designer Contour® Electrol® with Integrated Infrared Remote 52" x 92".

Our ceiling is sloped and we have the option to hang it on hooks however I am wondering if it would be wothwhile to modify the ceiling to hang this flush.

As far as hanging it with hooks, it just so happens that there are NO studs so any advice on how to hang this, if recommended, is appreciated!

I am open to all opinions.

Here is a pic of what I am up against:

http://www.garyhart.com/DSC00459.jpg

·
Registered
327 Posts
No Studs? How many hooks do you have and how much does that puppy weigh?

Even "good" drywall hangers only do 20 lbs. Well, some do more but having your screen rip your wall apart during a movie would be a real downer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixKindsOfWonder
No Studs? How many hooks do you have and how much does that puppy weigh?

Even "good" drywall hangers only do 20 lbs. Well, some do more but having your screen rip your wall apart during a movie would be a real downer.
The screen is 49lbs. There are studs but not even close to the ends of the screen caps where the hooks would mount. One stud is 2 inches from the left and the other is 9 inches from the right. I could attach the left one to the stud but I know my wife would notice that 2 inches and the off-center of the screen!

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
You don't want to use any drywall anchors for ceiling. See, the drywall anchors ratings are assuming vertical drywall. That means if the anchor is 6' off the ground, there is effectively 6' of support. If you mount into a horizontal surface, you only have the thickness of the drywall (1/2" typically). This may not be enough support.

What I would suggest is get a 1"x3"x? board. Decorate it with a router or whatever, and paint it the ceiling color. You can screw it up into the ceiling into many studs, and then simply attach the screen to that anywhere.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Gary,

You might consider attaching a 2x4 to the ceiling with screws or lag bolts into the studs. The 2x4 could be whatever length is required to create a symmetrical installation. You could then install your mounting hardware on the 2x4. Good luck!

Gary Dahl

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk
You don't want to use any drywall anchors for ceiling. See, the drywall anchors ratings are assuming vertical drywall. That means if the anchor is 6' off the ground, there is effectively 6' of support. If you mount into a horizontal surface, you only have the thickness of the drywall (1/2" typically). This may not be enough support.

What I would suggest is get a 1"x3"x? board. Decorate it with a router or whatever, and paint it the ceiling color. You can screw it up into the ceiling into many studs, and then simply attach the screen to that anywhere.
This is a great idea! Looks like a weekend project. I will document and take pictures then share with everyone the results, hopefully by this Sunday.

Here is a question about center channel speaker placement, can it go behind the screen? Since I am going to be cutting and routing, etc. I could kill two birds with one stone if I have to also create something for the center speaker.

FYI, my center speaker is a Klipsch center channel that must weigh at least 30lbs!

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
You don't want the speaker behind the screen unless you have a perfed material (I don't believe you mentioned that). What will happen is the higher frequencies will tend to roll off rapidly and not go through the material, causing a really muffled sound. Considering the center is the most important speaker, this is obviously an issue. However, you could mount it on the ceiling in front of the screen if you prefer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.