AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I bought a matt white Grandview Cyber Manual screen with a gain of 1.1. This is my first screen so I do not have experience with these, but I expected the screen to be a little bit brighter. When at daylight I put a sheet of photo copier paper next to it for comparison, the photo copier paper seems slightly brighter. Is this normal, or did I get a grey screen instead of a matt white screen? Thank you.

Balazs

·
Banned
1,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by balazs55 /forum/post/19583556

Hi - I bought a matt white Grandview Cyber Manual screen with a gain of 1.1. This is my first screen so I do not have experience with these, but I expected the screen to be a little bit brighter. When at daylight I put a sheet of photo copier paper next to it for comparison, the photo copier paper seems slightly brighter. Is this normal, or did I get a grey screen instead of a matt white screen? Thank you.

Balazs

A matte white screen even at 1.1 gain will have a very hard time producing

Black Blacks and White whites in ambient light conditions

In ambient light you will get a washed out picture using a matte white screen

basiclly if you plan on watching any tv in an ambient light enviroment you have the wrong screen...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the answer. Probably I was misleading, I'm sorry. I'm waiting for my projector to arrive. I will watch it in complete darkness. I did the comparison with the photo copier paper when I was in my room and some ambient sunshine came into the room through the window.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
There are a million shades of white. Your screen is manufactured with a color that is supposed to reproduce the colors of the image without adding or removing or changing anything. This will most likely not be the same color of white as paper.

·
Premium Member
10,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by balazs55 /forum/post/0

Balazs

That is a decent way to check screen gain and color, but it must be done with light from the projector. Many screens are advertised with higher gains than they have. Look at the screen material tests linked to in my signature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.