Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm about to purchase either the Panny 300 or Sony HS10. I have a big wall to which I'd like to fix a permanent screen. I'd also like the screen to be 110 inches. It seems like my only options are to pay $700+ for a screen (like DaLite) or make one myself. Does anyone have experience with self made screens and whether or not they can present an image close to that of a professional-made screen? I read this thread somewhere about using 4 strips of wood and a fabric called black-out cloth. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for the info.

Sillies

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hi there,

I have just bought the 'Parkland' Plastics screen material. This is a very popular material that people are using for DIY screens. I'm going to be laying it out on a plywood backing board and make a border covered in light absorbing black 'duvetyne' tape. BTW, duvetyne (available in self adhesive cloth and material) is used by movie studios and theaters to black out things they don't want the camera to pick up. You can get this stuff from www.rosebrand.com

The search engine is your friend here!!!! Do a search on 'Parkland', 'DIY screen' and blackout cloth and you will find days and days and days of reading!

Good luck!

Simon

·
Registered
132 Posts
For about $120.00 plus labor, you can make a custom made screen to fit exactly the size you want that uses an unpainted matte white screen material. At dickblick.com you can pick up some heavy duty stretcher bars (used for canvases) as your frame (about $50.00). I used Fredrix brand. They are strong, light and precut for a perfect 90 angle when interlocked. At iweiss.com they've got a vinyl front white screen material that is similar to other materials sold on the webb and by people on this site ($45.00). I think it is superior to blackout material and only moderately more expensive. You can then use deveteyne tape to make a nice smooth border around the frame (b&hphoto and other locations). You can stretch the vinyl yourself with a staple gun or use a frame shop to do it for you (which is what I did) My screen is 82" diagnal 16X9. It's so light I can pick it up and take it down myself and I'm using only two screws into the sheetrock to hold it up. It looks very nice IMHO. I hunted around this forum for months and I think this is a very clean moderately inexepensive way to go.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
You can buy material from either Stewart or Dalite and you can make your self a inexpensive but profesional screen.
hi,

wonder do you know of any website that can order the Stewart or Dalite material that ship to Asia.

thank in advance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SillieBazzillie
Hey all,

I'm about to purchase either the Panny 300 or Sony HS10. I have a big wall to which I'd like to fix a permanent screen. I'd also like the screen to be 110 inches. It seems like my only options are to pay $700+ for a screen (like DaLite) or make one myself. Does anyone have experience with self made screens and whether or not they can present an image close to that of a professional-made screen? I read this thread somewhere about using 4 strips of wood and a fabric called black-out cloth. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for the info.

Sillies
I make one myself lask week,Just to share...

link to 22 photos

save a lof of $$$ if you can DIY one,but only when you can get a good screen material...

you are lucky to be in State and able to order cheap raw fabic from Stewart/Dalite with ease,unlike me who live in Asia which need to pay a lot of shipping cost...

for example...if I will to buy firehawk material in my country with local agent,I will need to buy it with snap ( which mean extra cost) and pay ~USD $950 minimun....

but for you,I remember I read somewhere in AVS that you can get it around USD $600++ in state.....so you see?

regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.