AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking this question for my sister who just bought a Samsung lspt9 UST projector. Unfortunately, her boyfriend bought a cheap screen off of Amazon WITHOUT doing any research on proper screen types and the picture quality is horrible. So, I have been nominated to jump in and "fix" this issue. After hours of research, I had know idea that there was so much that goes into buying the proper projector screen. I feel like I am much more educated on screen types, but I am still confused about the opinions of ALR vs CLR. I know the difference, but some people say NOT to buy an ALR screen for a UST and some people say this is the only thing you want. Then, I hear the the same regarding CLR screens. So, I have two questions:
1) ALR or CLR?
-light can be controlled in the room about 75%+. I think the light they can't control during the day may be too far away from the screen to make a difference (Home theatre is not enclosed).
2) Since the cost is not an issue, because they understand this is an investment, they want a nice set up. So my research has led me to a Stewart Balon Edge or Stewart-WSUST120HGM70EZX. But, the Grandview Dynamique keeps coming up. So, what are your recommendations?

You see my dilemma, all the screens here are all ALR and not CLR.

For those who have this projector, I am sure you did extensive research on screens. I would be curious what screen you ended up pairing up and your recommendations.

Thanks, I appreciate any help that you can provide. I don't want to have them drop $5000 on a screen and not get the result they wanted.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I think your confusion is that CLR screens are ALR screens but ALR screens are not all CLR screens. The screens description must state FOR UST projectors as standard ALR screens won't work for UST.

Reactions: Craig Peer

·
Vendor
NX7 + ST130, Firehawk & Black Diamond + Marantz 8012 + Def Tech 9080s +more.
587 Posts
I am asking this question for my sister who just bought a Samsung lspt9 UST projector. Unfortunately, her boyfriend bought a cheap screen off of Amazon WITHOUT doing any research on proper screen types and the picture quality is horrible. So, I have been nominated to jump in and "fix" this issue. After hours of research, I had know idea that there was so much that goes into buying the proper projector screen. I feel like I am much more educated on screen types, but I am still confused about the opinions of ALR vs CLR. I know the difference, but some people say NOT to buy an ALR screen for a UST and some people say this is the only thing you want. Then, I hear the the same regarding CLR screens. So, I have two questions:
1) ALR or CLR?
-light can be controlled in the room about 75%+. I think the light they can't control during the day may be too far away from the screen to make a difference (Home theatre is not enclosed).
2) Since the cost is not an issue, because they understand this is an investment, they want a nice set up. So my research has led me to a Stewart Balon Edge or Stewart-WSUST120HGM70EZX. But, the Grandview Dynamique keeps coming up. So, what are your recommendations?

You see my dilemma, all the screens here are all ALR and not CLR.

For those who have this projector, I am sure you did extensive research on screens. I would be curious what screen you ended up pairing up and your recommendations.

Thanks, I appreciate any help that you can provide. I don't want to have them drop $5000 on a screen and not get the result they wanted.
The Grandview Dynamique is a very popular screen to pair with that projector and is on the more economical side. It doesn't have the same performance as the more premium SI Short Throw or Stewart Balon UST options but will be superior to the similarly priced Elite Aeon CLR.

CLR is a terms that Elite came up with for their ALR screens for UST projectors (Ceiling Light Rejecting) but has been used to describe other brands ALR for UST

As @rekbones stated, traditional ALR screens will not work with a UST projector

·
Registered
104 Posts
Any flat (not too much texture) white or gray screen without a large bezel (which would cast a shadow) would work. I personally prefer that - but I know a lot of people like UST, I just don't like how expensive it is for what you get. Since cost is not an issue, I would recommend a Severtson thin bezel. I like the quality of them, and they have gray, white, and UST options available. If what you want isn't listed, just call, since they do custom sizes. You can also get samples and see what material works for you. I like their SAT -- or, obviously their UST -- for short throw projection.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Lots of people get confused and equate ALR screens to UST screens. They ARE NOT THE SAME THING and I wish manufacturers would not place ALR in the names of their UST screens or refer to it that way in marketing. It does more harm than good, as evidenced by the many threads where people ask about UST and ALR. UST screens have (some) ALR properties, because of their design. Elite describes them the best(IMO), referring to their UST screens as UST CLR(ceiling light rejection), because they help reject light coming from above(but not the sides or any other direction).

My opinion, that I've stated on here numerous times, is that if you are spending the money on a nice UST projector, you need to get a UST screen. Otherwise you are wasting your money, because you are leaving a lot of performance and optimization on the table. One of the analogies that I use often is to think of it as buying a high performance sports car and then putting tiny tires designed for a smart car on it. Yeah, it may get you back and forth to the grocery store at 35MPH, but that's not why you bought it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts