Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All!

New member "audiofreq" here. This is a very cool site. Glad to be on board.

Question:

What feedback can any of you TV3 owners give me as far as what screen seems to look best. I have a TV3 on the way and any input would be greatly appreciated. (I am considering a Vutec Silverstar).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a TV3 and a Vutec 1.3 gain white screen 122" diag 16x9. I personally would not go and higher gain as the blacks will not be good. I am looking at the Firehawk as a possibility.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Dan- I have asked this before but don't believe I ever got a good answer to it.

When the manufacturer like Dwin sets up their PJ at the factory to a particular screen spec. How does that affect the factory specs when you decide to go with something radically different like a gray screen. Can the adjustments be made by the user or does the factory set gamma, which is not user accessable in the Dwin NEED to be changed? FWIW- Jeff Klida told me my screen would be perfect for the way the Dwin is factory set, which is a flat white 1.0 gaim. He said not to bother worrying about a gray screen for enhanced blacks. The Dwin doesn't need it like dila and others.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the record....

I previewed the TV3 on a Draper Cineperm 92" HDTV format screen with the M1300 surface (1.0 gain). Looked killer. Color resolution was most impressive. Perhaps the gray format is not optimal for the TV3. I'm still curious about the Vutec Silverstar w/6.0 gain with the TV3 though. :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I can't recommend it yet as I haven't gotten to see it, but I just received our 122" diagonal Vutec Silverstar and the Dwin TV3 is set to be installed in a few weeks as soon as the room construction is done. I will post results and pictures as soon as I get it installed.

The dealer I bought the Dwin from is a Da-Lite, Stewart, and Vutec dealer and he said after talking to Dwin, Stewart, and Vutec that he definitely wouldn't go with a grey screen. (I was initially set on a Firehawk). He seems to know his stuff so I am trusting his judgement. Take this FWIW.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Don,

that is a great question and unfortunately I dont know the answer. Instinctly I would say that if the projector is setup for a white screen, then it will need to be tweeked to work well with a grey screen. I really dont know if that is true.

I saw the Dwin with the Studiotek and it looked great. So maybe the safe answer for those who wont be able to test out the two screens, is to go with the 1.3 gain screen that Dwin recommends. If you choose the Firehawk and it doesnt look right and you cant tweek it, then you are screwed. If you choose the white screen and it looks great, you will never know what you maybe missing by not going with a grey screen.

·
Registered
504 Posts
On my screen, as I posted above, the picture is really, really good. Good enough to make me switch from my Sony G70 CRT to the DWIN.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Cary-

Will you be in a position where you can do a direct A/B comparison of the Dwin on your current white screen (the Vutec) and a gray screen (the Firehawk)?

It would certainly be a tremendous help to those of us who are considering a purchase of the Dwin and what screen to use with it.

Don's question is a very good one, and it deserves some serious consideration.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I am expecting my DWIN in a week, and I just ordered a Vutec Britewhite(ther 1.3 gain white screen).

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Price, Price, and Price:)

Also, the Vutec people were very good to me(I asked for a sample, and I got it in the mail 3 days later!). The sample size was very big, and it was thick and it felt good. I asked DWIN how this screen would do, and they said it was an excellent choice.

I got the Vueasy frame with the optional velvet covered frame, and it was custom built(I ordered a 92 wide) for me, and I paid considerably less then what the Dalite in this class would have cost.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Why does Dwin claim to use a white screen compared to every other DLP manufacturer recommending the Firehawk? Is Dwin using a different DLP chip or light engine(not)? As it seems all the new DLP HD2 projectors looking pretty similar in picture quality.

I would like to know what Stewart would think. With gray material wouldn't you lose 1 color scale down? As with white it would be neutral?

Ross

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
audiofreq, DWIN recommends a 1.3 gain white screen to go with their TV3. I went with the Stewart 1.3 white screen. The blacks get pretty dark, and I've had to raise the contrast on my projector to see enough on some scenes in LOTR and in Spiderman. This projector can get pretty dark.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
After I install the Dwin with existing white screen I've been using with my CRT, I plan to order a sample of Stewart's firehawk and test it out with the projector to see if there is any advantage.

That, of course will be academic as when I talked to Don Stewart, he told me the Firehawk was not recommended for the CRT. Since I will be using both PJ's for awhile in the HT, the screen choice will remain with what I have now.

·
Registered
866 Posts
When I discussed this with DWIN they said it boiled down to the fact that they have a prism free optics system on the TV3 unlike most of their competitors. By doing this it allows darker blacks and can generate an image that is preferably viewed on a studiotek 130 - DWINs preferred choice. With that said I've sold TV3s with Studioteks, FireHawks and Vutec's 1.3 and they all looked good and had very subtle differences.

Brent Huskins

Media Design

·
Registered
136 Posts
Let me jump in on the side of the white screens; I'm using a Studiotec 130, 110 inches wide, and I'm quite happy with the results. The blacks are good for a DLP, I just need to see if I can do anything to get the reds closer to what I think red should be, not a screen related issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Well, I can't recommend it yet as I haven't gotten to see it, but I just received our 122" diagonal Vutec Silverstar and the Dwin TV3 is set to be installed in a few weeks as soon as the room construction is done. I will post results and pictures as soon as I get it installed."

Wade....

I think I'll wait to get your feedback on this combo.

Other than that...

It looks like a Vutec 1.3 seems to be the ticket.

You guys are a great help as well as a wealth of experience & knowledge.

Muchos grazias!

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
NormP-

I felt that the one area of PQ that the Marantz did shine over the Dwin TV3 was in certain red quality. The Marantz just lookd more natural while the Dwin had a bit of shift to the magenta side for the same exact red in a scene on a DVD in the demos. I went back and forth to specifically observe this at CES. This was why I scored the Marantz S2 a tad higher IMO tally when deciding my choice. All other colors, were pretty much the same.

Excuse my ignorance, but what did Jeff mean when he said the Dwin does not use Prism's and other DLP's do? I don't see a prism in any of the DLP's except for the 3 chip versions (beam splitter prism). Educate me! I heard him say that too but didn't concern myself with it at the time.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Maybe it's just some marketing mumbo jumbo...I do know that the results with the Studiotek 130 are good and can't be denied.

Brent Huskins

Media Design

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.