AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I seem to get more of a response to questions with standalone threads, I'm going to repost this here.

As the screen is easily removed by lifting it off the brackets to allow access to the speakers, etc. behind it, what is the best way to mark the exact location that it sits? I'd rather not have to measure to make sure I'm at the exact center point of the room every time I move it (which hopefully isn't much).

What is the best way to make sure the screen and projector are square? I know there is a string method, but not sure on the specifics of how to do it. How much of this is adjustable in the mount (I have a chief mount - RPAU I think)?

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,734 Posts
if your projector has horizontal lens shift you can be off a little side to side on the projector mount without any problems. Just make sure the image is the same height, left and right then move the image with the shift, don't swivel the projector to hit the screen.

If you keep needing to remove the screen and want to mark the location just use blue tape each time. I usually have a painted black screen wall frame on the side edge of my screens and you can mark the location with a pencil and see it but later the line gets hidden by fabric panels.

I'm also often confronted with a situation where the side panels have to go in first and out last when taking apart the screen wall. In that case the panels define exactly where the screen goes. once the side panels are up you just fit the screen between them.

This will be the case with the White Oak project this weekend.

·
Registered
304 Posts
As for making the screen and projector square, I would worry about the screen first, and then adjust the projector to make it square on the screen. You can use a self-leveling laser as one of many ways to make sure the screen is level and plum.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,734 Posts
The projector is square when the distance from the lens to the top two outside corners is the same. String, tape measure are a couple of things you can use. You can use a level to be sure the screen is plumb.

I use a laser level to attach the z-clips for the screen. But you can use a bubble level.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts