AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a brand new member here and I am getting ready to finish my basement and install a Home Theater. The theater will be complete dark when I am finished as I will black out the two windows I have This is my first attempt at this so I would assume I am an absolute newbie.

I know this has been asked before, but I am looking at Projection Screens and aspect ratios. Since I am buying everything at once, cost is a factor and I have decided to go with a Carada 112" Brilliant White screen. What aspect should I get?

We will use the room primarily for movies although we will play some games and watch TV down there. I am going to get either an Epson 1080 UB or an Optoma HD80 projector that will be about 15' from the screen and we will not have any masking.

Do I go with 1.78, 1.85 or 2.35?

Keep in mind that a lot of threads here are a little over my head at the moment. The more direct the response the better.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Welcome!

I think most go with 1.78 (16:9), as this is the standard for HDTV and also works well with 1.85 movies. Some go with 2.35 and use masking or curtains to cover the side black bars when showing other aspect ratios. The latter AR requires more screen width for a given screen height, of course, so may not be as desirable for smaller rooms, and is more expensive. Personally, I went with 1.78.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts