AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm currently building my completely light controlled media room in my attic. I'm finishing in the space with no windows. I will have a 20' long room by 18' wide. I'm purchasing an Optoma H79 and plan to mount from a suspended ceiling Chief mounting bracket. I plan to put the projector at 17.2' from the front wall to use a 110" diag Studiotek screen. Does this sound like the right screen and the right size for this room? It won't be too dark or too bright will it? I could go to 120" diag if needed. Again, the room will be completely light controlled and painted a dark, nonreflective brown. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
You might wanna post in the screens Section here, lots of smart folks over there too.

-- Cain

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The following is just a few opinions; do check out the screen forum.

If your room is light controlled with dark walls the ambient light rejecting property of the Firehawk is less needed. At 110" diagonal and with a gain of maybe 1.3 with the Firehawk you'll probably maintain image brightness above 12 fL (the standard said to be applied in commercial theaters) through much of the life of the bulb. If you do plan to have lights on while viewing, an alternative screen could be the new GrayWolf. A Silverstar screen has a wide viewing area and gain around 2.5 area but is relatively expensive. Personally, I'd go with a 1.4 gain or so at 110" diagonal and consider a higher gain screen such as a Da-Lite High Power if you go larger. To get maximum gain from the High Power you would need to install the pj more just behind and above your viewing position - it selectively reflects more light back toward the pj.

You don't mention seating position but the most-recommended for a 720p resolution pj is, minimum, 1.5 x screen width distance from the screen, in order to reduce the likelihood of screen door effect from the viewing position. This site is good for screen setup info:

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html

Dan

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
In my tests the firehawk has more negatives than positives. I compared the Stewart Studiotek and the Firehawk side by side in a dark room. If you compare the firehawk to the studiotek you have a less detailed picture. The following tests were conducted with a NEC HT1000.

Whites: there are none on the FireHawk. Whites are grey. Promoters of the FireHawk say that is ok, be satisfied with relative whites. IMO most people would prefer the clean appearing whites of the Studiotek.
Colors: with the Studiotek colors are gorgeous, vibrant and pure. Colors on the firehawk when compared to the studiotek appear muted and dingy with a grainy grey undertone.
Detail: There is more subtlety and detail revealed on the Studiotek screen. The result of this is that the Studiotek image has more depth and dimensionality.
Black level: The FireHawk has a lower black level-but at what price? The price is loss of details in the blacks. A woman in a black dress will show really black but compared with the Studiotek where the black level is slightly elevated you will see a black dress with folds in the material that are completely obscured by the FireHawk. In one test the same man wearing a black suit with the FireHawk was wearing a black pin-striped suit on the Studiotek.

Lenny Eckian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.