AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Room Information:

I recently just finished a basement area with a "media room." I have a fairly large space, roughly 13x20 that is mostly light controlled. I have room for at maximum, a fixed frame 106" screen and would like to ceiling mount the projector. While at the top of my budget, I am targeting a purchase of a new Sony VPL-HW30, as it has wowed me with reviews.

WAF Consideration:

We have many light sources in the room, including can lights, sconces and rope lighting. The wife requires a level of ambient lighting else she gets headaches from the sudden light changes after watching a movie. So as a special consideration, I am counting on "some" ambient light, whether that ends up being dim rope lighting, or some other form of ambient light.

Questions:
  • Is there a recommended screen for the new Sony VPL-HW30 that is a nice balance for both 2D and 3D?
  • Knowing my above room and WAF considerations, is there a particular screen gain I should be targeting?
  • I originally was looking at a Stewart Firehawk G3, would this be a good fit?

·
Banned
960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsumike /forum/post/20830445

Room Information:

I recently just finished a basement area with a "media room." I have a fairly large space, roughly 13x20 that is mostly light controlled. I have room for at maximum, a fixed frame 106" screen and would like to ceiling mount the projector. While at the top of my budget, I am targeting a purchase of a new Sony VPL-HW30, as it has wowed me with reviews.

WAF Consideration:

We have many light sources in the room, including can lights, sconces and rope lighting. The wife requires a level of ambient lighting else she gets headaches from the sudden light changes after watching a movie. So as a special consideration, I am counting on "some" ambient light, whether that ends up being dim rope lighting, or some other form of ambient light.

Questions:
  • Is there a recommended screen for the new Sony VPL-HW30 that is a nice balance for both 2D and 3D?
  • Knowing my above room and WAF considerations, is there a particular screen gain I should be targeting?
  • I originally was looking at a Stewart Firehawk G3, would this be a good fit?

A grey screen is definitely recommended and the Firehawk material is one of the best grey screens out there. Only other grey screen out there that can compete with it is the Black Diamond and in some cases, the BD screen is a better choice.

What is the color of the room? Do you have light colored walls? Ceiling color?

Benito

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin /forum/post/20831677

What is the color of the room? Do you have light colored walls? Ceiling color?

The walls are a medium gray-ish blue color, and the ceiling is a darker version of it.

Overall, the room is fairly dark, with the exception of the wall the projector screen will be located. This wall has a stone finish that is a light-grey color though, so it isn't purely dark everywhere. This is not able to be removed and/or painted, and must stay untouched.

For stone and wall color, see attached photo. I don't have a picture for the ceiling, but simply imagine a slightly darker version of wall color.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.