AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I’m looking for screen recommendations for my media room. I’m leaning towards Screen Innovations but can’t decide on which one to go with to be honest. I’ve used the online screen wizard they offer, which is telling me to go with a Black Diamond at 133” with 6 FC in the room.

This room is actually marked as a game room on my floor plan, but I decided to turn into a media room. The entrance of the room is a large arch opening that has no doors at all on it. The opposite wall from the entrance has three windows which I plan on covering with acoustic panels to kill any light from coming in. The main entrance of the room overlooks the downstairs front door which has large windows below that shine light right into the media room. I’ve tried to think of ways to put a door or something to close it off but can’t really find anything due to the arch type opening it has. Also, the planned seating will be straight on towards the screen, and nothing at any angles. No AT screen needed as front stage will be towers, and a center

I have an JVC NX5 on order currently that should be getting here soon. Since I don’t have the projector yet I took some measurements to calculate my throw distance. I came up with 14.5ft after taking the wall to wall measurement, and subtracting 19.5 inches for the projector. I used a light meter on my phone, and held it against the wall where the screen would be which came out to roughly 5-6 FC of light in the afternoon.

Playing around with the screen wizard it looks like lowering my FC from 6 to 4 opened up my options to Slate 1.2, and Slate .8. I’m would like keep it Screen Innovations, Elite Screen or Stewart.

What’s the largest screen I can do in the media room without losing quality?

What gain should I be looking for based on my room?

Did I measure my throw distance correctly?

Any recommendations on closing the front entrance?

**Pictures attached below showing the room.

Picture 1 : shows the wall the screen will be on

Picture 2: where the projector will be mounted

Picture 3: main door to the house where the lights shines straight upstairs to the media room.

·
Registered
19,851 Posts
Can you paint that room a little darker? Also, you could put up a curtain rod over that arched entrance with nice looking full length drapes, and close them when you want it darker, and open them when you don't.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Nice place you have there, it’s classy looking.

My room colors are very similar, and I use blackout cellular shades on the doors and windows. But I can‘t remove all light, so I have many sessions where ambient light is present.

My first screen was a SI Black Diamond 1.3. It was bright no matter what the ambient light situation was, but the sparkles annoyed me.

I switched to a Stewart ST130 G4, and I’m thrilled with it. The picture is adequately bright, and sharper than the Black Diamond.

My screen size is 140” 2.4:1, with a NX7, Panamorph DCR lens, and Lumagen Radiance Pro. I couldn’t be more satisfied with the combo.

0138346C-1564-47E7-9F41-3F5DAF0F3075.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Seymour screens have been my favorite by far. I mean if they provide screens to Skywalker Ranch how can you go wrong. I just ordered a new one from them with electric masking and will arrive next week. Exciting!!! Call them, you’ll be impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you paint that room a little darker? Also, you could put up a curtain rod over that arched entrance with nice looking full length drapes, and close them when you want it darker, and open them when you don't.
I’ll look into that

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

My room colors are very similar, and I use blackout cellular shades on the doors and windows. But I can‘t remove all light, so I have many sessions where ambient light is present.

My first screen was a SI Black Diamond 1.3. It was bright no matter what the ambient light situation was, but the sparkles annoyed me.

I switched to a Stewart ST130 G4, and I’m thrilled with it. The picture is adequately bright, and sharper than the Black Diamond.

My screen size is 140” 2.4:1, with a NX7, Panamorph DCR lens, and Lumagen Radiance Pro. I couldn’t be more satisfied with the combo.

View attachment 3126143
Yeah if I can get the room to a point where I can control majority of the light it seems like ST130 would be a great option. Approximately how much did the screen cost you? Trying to get an estimate ballpark of what I’m looking at spending for a 120”

·
Registered
19,851 Posts
Yeah if I can get the room to a point where I can control majority of the light it seems like ST130 would be a great option. Approximately how much did the screen cost you? Trying to get an estimate ballpark of what I’m looking at spending for a 120”

I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Thats a lovely setup. I am also going through research on whether to go for StudioTek 130 G4 or Firehawk G5. Its a media room and walls are light white . Have three windows on right side and stairs going down. I tested it with both and I kind of like 130 G4 as it looks bright and colors accurate. Firehawk is also great with blacks. G4 the too white gets bit annoying though. Form your experience with both grey and white in your setup can you suggest in general what was your experience and how is that white is better for you.

The pics are of daylight but if I close the curtains its reasonably dark. Night is even better

3CB1CEC3-1BA8-46D2-B73F-6FB496990B68.jpeg
5D4ABC91-A2B2-4174-B588-D619D17117EF.jpeg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up getting the SI Zero Edge Pro Slate 1.2. I would’ve gone another route but couldn’t pass up the huge discount I was getting.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I ended up getting the SI Zero Edge Pro Slate 1.2. I would’ve gone another route but couldn’t pass up the huge discount I was getting.

Seems to be lots of happy Slate owners, so I'm guessing you'll be one of them too. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Thats a lovely setup. I am also going through research on whether to go for StudioTek 130 G4 or Firehawk G5. Its a media room and walls are light white . Have three windows on right side and stairs going down. I tested it with both and I kind of like 130 G4 as it looks bright and colors accurate. Firehawk is also great with blacks. G4 the too white gets bit annoying though. Form your experience with both grey and white in your setup can you suggest in general what was your experience and how is that white is better for you.

The pics are of daylight but if I close the curtains its reasonably dark. Night is even better
The white gives a superior image. With a 1.3 gain, I get the brightness, so that is on par with the grey Black Diamond 1.3. Also, I don't notice the white sides when watching 16:9 on my 2.4:1 screen, so they just don't bother me. But the primary difference that I notice is the lack of "sparkles" when panning. I enjoy watching sports, and sparkles were a prevalent annoyance with the Black Diamond that is not present with the ST130 G4.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts