AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here goes a pretty bad story...

My son and friend were playing videogame in my game/movie/office room. One of the kids was too close to the screen and ended up putting a 4" vertical scratch in the screen, right in the middle. This mind you, is my JVC LT-40FH96 I just got in May.

So, being the guy that I am, I bought a new LCD (bigger even) to replace that one. I'd done my research and figured that I was looking at a minimum of 700 bucks to repair it the right way.

I had a service person in my house a couple of days ago, and he mentioned that it would be more in the order of $1500 or so.

What I am looking for is a decent solution to hide this super thin hairline scratch so that it doesn't bother me. I'm just not open to an expensive repair at this point.

Would a product like Novus actually work in these cases?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The scratch is in the polarizer. Polish like Novus will not only NOT work, it will ruin the polarizer even more. The polarizer can be replaced but is it worth it and for what price. Large film laminations are a challenge. Look up Man and Machine in Maryland. They do aftermarket polarizer replacements for smaller displays (notebooks) but who knows? Of course, you will have mail them your display (not the TV but only the LCD).

Good luck.

DB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.