AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a High Contrast Matte White Dalite 106" screen with my PLV70, and I think the blacks and contrasts are great. Of course, I don't really know any better, either. :) It is an in-ceiling installation (Advantage Manual in DaLite parlance).

My problem is that I see horizontal bands on the image in light scenes. Photo examples here . I called the folks I bought my PJ from and also Sanyo about it.

Well, last night (right after I put calls into Sanyo and Presenting Solutions) I figured out what it is...... They are ripples on the screen itself! They move with the screen, not the PJ (if I do lens shift or move the PJ). Duhhhh :b

I'm going to have to look at other screen options, I guess. I really like the performance of the HCMW screen! The blacks are great - check out the blacks on the top image at the link above! It is a very bright image and the black letterboxing above and below (LOR is wider than wide) is virtually indistinguishable from the screen's matte black surrounds. Who says LCD has poor blacks? :D

I also like the matte screen because there are NO viewing angle constraints. The picture looks the same from any angle, even acute angles from those sitting on the couch along the left wall.

Finally, I believe a low-gain (

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hi Gordon,

Yeah, your photo looks like typical screen "ripples." Barring the High Power fabric (which everybody seems to agree is resistant to visible ripples/waves), I belive that your only option to completely avoid ripples/waves is tensioned retractables.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sushi
Hi Gordon,

Yeah, your photo looks like typical screen "ripples." Barring the High Power fabric (which everybody seems to agree is resistant to visible ripples/waves), I belive that your only option to completely avoid ripples/waves is tensioned retractables.
I was afraid of that! I'm going to have to get with Jason Turk and see if I can retrofit a tensioned screen into my case. I would HATE tearing up the drywall again!! We would not mind if it got smaller. The 106" we have now is PLENTY big for my room. My wife thinks it's too big :D

Gordon

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been talking with DaLite and they are committed to making it right. They seem like a very good company to deal with. Unfortunately, they don't have a tensioned screen that can be retrofitted into my exisitng case. Since it is drywalled-in, I hate to replace it and won't even consider another major expense on my HT for a year or so.

Anyway, I think DaLite will help me with this one. Per their recommendation, I am going to leave it hang down for a day or two and maybe hit it lightly with warm air from a hair dryer. If that does not take the wrinkles out, they are willing to replace it for me. Like I posed earlier, I do not have any problem with the screen's performance with my PJ, so if we can get the wrinkles out, I'll be happy! :)

Gordon

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Wow... Gordon, you just made me smile as another new Da-Lite owner!!!
What flavor are you getting?

I'll be interested to hear how you like it!

Gordon

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I just finished hanging this past weekend the Model C w/CSR High Power 10'x8', custom masked down to 120"-diagonal 16:9. I mean to post a detailed report, but I have not... Anyway, to make a short story short, I and my family are very happy with the results. As you may remember, my projector is the Yamaha LPX-500, a cousin of the Epson TW100.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll bet that's a STUNNING combination!!! If I weren't so wary of possible DLP issues, I'd have looked at that one too!

Gordon

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sushi,

How did you "custom mask" your high power screen from 8x10 to a 120" 16:9? Did you glue or tape something on to your screen?

·
Registered
454 Posts
You might want to consider the regular matte white screen. I just got one in a manual pulldown model B. I notice that it has a large wave on the right side, covering about 1/5th of the area of the screen. This wave is not noticable during viewing, except that it's large enough to alter the geometry of things during panning. There is no discoloration or shadowing or anything or anything like that. It is not noticable on a still image. I haven't called dalite yet about this.

When I look at the screen from the back (I can as it covers a doorway when pulled down), I see lots of ripples on the back of the screen. These are invisible from the front.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Hmm??? The Yamaha/Epson is an LCD projector; just that it is not as bright as your Sanyo light canon. :D
Oops. I have not been following the threads on that PJ. I assumed it was DLP. How does it compare to other "popular" LCD's like Sanyo Z1, L300U, and Sony HS10? Resolution, price, lumens, etc? I loved your review from your trip to Tokyo, but I forget if the one you bought was discussed. I'd say the above mentioned review was the most instrumental to me going with my Sanyo PLV-70. I know it was not mentioned in your review, but after getting derailed from my Sony HS-10 intentions, the Sanyo kinda fell out as the best solution.

I do know that you do your research seriously, so I'm sure it's a great setup!!

Gordon

·
Registered
88 Posts
Gordon,

I bought a 133" electric screen w/HCMW and after 5 replacements I ended up "shimming" the screen myself (time comsuming)by bringing down the screen to where it was actually taped to the roller. I was fortunate to have some blackout duck tape from work to do this. This tape dosen't adhere to screen in such a way that you can romove it w/o damaging it. I do not where this tape was purchased, but we have to kill lightleaks in the cockpit.

I still have to wait ( longer even when it's cooler ) for some of the wrinkles to flaten out after it's been rolled up. Which clearly defeats the purpose of having a roll-up screen, but I clearly like this better than the 1.5 video screen as I only have a PT-711XU and it really enhances the blacks.

Da-Lite does have excellent costumer service from my experience.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
I bought a 133" electric screen w/HCMW and after 5 replacements I ended up "shimming" the screen myself
Whoa, Cpotatoe :(

Sounds like the HCMW screen may have an issue! If the hair dryer/hanging trick does not work out. I'm going to ask for a repacement and see what gives then. So far after leaving it hang overnight, it seems to get a little better, but them my wife put it up to watch some TV and the ripples were back in full force. I have not taken the hair dryer to it yet.

As the DaLite folks seem very willing to work with me on this, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but it sounds like you've had a similar problem on all 5 HCMW screens.

Thanks for the post!

Gordon

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
How did you "custom mask" your high power screen from 8x10 to a 120" 16:9? Did you glue or tape something on to your screen?
tmyj99,

No. Da-Lite will gladly do the custom-masking according to your own spec. It did not significantly increase my price; it is basically free. To make absolutely sure that I communicate my specs correctly, I emailed them (via a dealer) a simple drawing of the masks. They executed the masking exactly to my spec, and I am very happy with the results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got ripples with my pulldown (B model) too.

1) What is the technique with the hair dryer?

2) It's better to leave it hanging all the time and not rolled up?

Thanks!

Psilent

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry Psilent.

I have not done the hair dryer thing yet. The rep I spoke with said to apply it to the back of the screen, which is difficult for me as it comes down right in front of my large component/TV shelf unit (almost touching). I've left it hanging for days now, and I can still see the ripples. It is much worse after being rolled up. There are waves too, but they are not as serious to my eye as the ripples.

I need to follow up and do the hair dryer trick, then follow up with DaLite if I am still dissatisfied. Despite the ripples (which are a major irritation to me) I've been enjoying movies so much lately that I have not done much fiddling with this.

This is the only part of my entire HT installation that I am not pleased with. The rest of my system has exceeded all my expectaions!!!

After hearing of others who have ripples they could not fix from a High Contrast Matte White screen I suspect that down the road, I'll have to upgrade significantly, to Stewart, perhaps. Bummer as this will mean some major drywall work again. :( It will have to wait a while, though.

:( :(

Gordon

·
Registered
33 Posts
gotcha. hope things work out. I'm not looking forward to investing more cash for tensioned screen. I'm already about way over budget. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have exact screen as Gordon (106" DaliteHCMW) . I have not seen any ripples (horizontal wrinkles) but have started noticing vertical wrinkles - or waves. They are not that distracting but since I know They are there I can't avoid them while watching.

Has anyone experienced same problem? How do you fix this? Will hair dryer trick work on vertical wrinkles?

The screen is otherwise very good I'm using it with Dell 2100MP DLP projector.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.